1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is your computer running slow?Check this out.

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Roshith, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

There are a lot of posts on the site where people complain that their computer is running slow.

And the first few steps that the person is told to take is always the same....so i thought i'd help save some time and list the steps people before posting here on the site.

Following these steps will get more than half your problem solved and it will be easier for others to help you improve your computers performance.

First, do a free online scan to eliminate the possibility of viruses. Run atleast one of these or run BOTH of them if you can .

Trend Micro's Housecall Online Virus Scan

Panda Software

After you have done that, download Ad-aware from Here.Instal it and download the latest updates. After that, run the scan. This will eliminate most adware that is on your system. It is very important that you have the latest updates.

Then, download Spybot Search & Destroy from Here .Install and download the latest updates. Run it. This will help to remove some more adware that were not found by Ad-aware.

After you have done that,download the latest version of Hijackthis from Here.Download it and install it to its own permanent folder. Run hijackthis and DONT FIX ANYTHING! Instead, post the log on the site and more knowledgeable people will tell you what to remove and what not.

Using a firewall also helps to prevent unauthorized access to your computer. Zonealarm is a good one.

Posting your hijackthis logs after running all the above programs will make it a lot easier for people on this site to help you solve the problem.

Hope you have found this post useful. :)

2. rez410

rez410

ok my problem is whenever i get on the internet i cant go to any website b/c whenever i type in the web address and hit enter the "can not be displayed " comes up. and where the web address is that i typed is changed. i.e. www.yahoo.com i hit enter then it changes to http:///020yahoo.com. or something really close to that. i do have spybot and i ran that but it didnt help. i cant do panda b/c i cant get to the page. what should i do?
    thanks
    ross

3. Mastertech

Mastertech

Step 1 and 2 of Optimize XP will do the same (a little more thorough) and prevent reinfection.

4. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

ross...i cant really think of any solution to your problem. Why dont u try posting a thread on the "internet" forums?

5. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

and mastertech.....thanks for the link..

6. rez410

rez410

ok today i ran ad-aware SE and spywareBlaster. I also ran spybot last night. It found like 24 things but it could only delete like 15. Also today when i started up my computer it was REALLY messing up. I had a hard time just starting windows. So i have used them 3 programs. but still having the internet problem. Im thinking since my computer is so new, would it be smart to just save everything i need (which isnt much) on a flash disk and just restore?? Then install avast anti-virus before i go back online?

7. Fidelista

Fidelista

Hello Rez. Go here >>>>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
    and download this program---save it to a folder.
    Double -click it {no install is required} and choose scan. DO NOT "FIX" anything.
    Save log--- and copy the results to the Security Forum.
    If Spybot or Adaware cannot remove an identified item/items, other means have to be used. My best >f

8. grundelman

grundelman

9. Big-K

Big-K

As I remember, being unable to remove an item doesnt mean its required, but that its in use at that moment in time. It's the same as if your trying to replace a system file, you have to go into dos mode or use Replacer to do it.

10. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

I have been using Microsoft's Anti Spyware beta for a while and i must say that it is very good.
    You should use it in addition to ad-aware and spybot s&d.

11. bkpeck

bkpeck

That's a very good link Mastertech! I downloaded XP Antispy....Great

12. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

Roshith,getting back to your original post,you may want to include in that to disable system restore before doing the scans so viruses cant restore themselves. Just a thought.

13. Mastertech

Mastertech

Ad-aware by default scans system restore and Avasts boot time scan will as well.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice