1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ISO: recommendations for PC upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darthcervantes, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darthcervantes

darthcervantes Thread Starter

Could someone please advise which power supply, RAM, Hard Drive and GFX card I should update too given my current PC specs?
    I haven't upgraded in a while and the poor performance I'm getting in Mortal Kombat 11 (at lowest settings) has made me think its time for a upgrade

Current specs and info:
    Case
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163205
    SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B-USB3.0 Aluminum / 0.8mm SECC micro-ATX / Mini-DTX / Mini-ITX MB, 1x5.25", 2x3.5"+1x2.5"HDD or 1x3.5"+2x2.5"HDD, 3x120mm golf bladed fan, 11" expansion card capable HTPC Case with 2X USB3.0 ports (Black)

Current Power supply (I think I need a new one to run a higher end GFX card?)
    CORSAIR CX Series CX500 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply

Current Specs from Speccy:

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz 47 °C
    Bloomfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    EVGA 121-BL-E756 (Socket 423) 47 °C
    Graphics
    SONY TV *01 ([email protected])
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (EVGA) 43 °C
    Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 ATA Device (SATA ) 46 °C
    3725GB Western Digital WD My Passport 25E2 USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 44 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A ATA Device
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

MOTHERBOARD
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer EVGA
    Model 121-BL-E756 (Socket 423)
    Version Tylersburg
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model X58
    Chipset Revision 13
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
    Southbridge Revision 00
    System Temperature 48 °C
    BIOS
    Brand Phoenix Technologies LTD
    Version 6.00 PG
    Date 8/25/2011
    Voltage
    +3.3V 3.280 V
    CPU CORE 1.223 V
    DRAM 1.505 V
    CPU TERMINATION 1.203 V
    NB CORE 1.144 V
    +5V 5.003 V
    +12V 12.332 V
    VSB3V 3.248 V
    CMOS BATTERY 3.200 V
    PCI Data
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI0
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 0
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI1
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 1
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage In Use
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI2
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 2
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI3
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 3
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI4
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 4
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage In Use
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI5
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 5
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI6
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 6
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI7
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 7
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation PCI8
    Characteristics 5V, PME
    Slot Number 8

RAM
    Memory slots
    Total memory slots 6
    Used memory slots 2
    Free memory slots 4
    Memory
    Type DDR3
    Size 8192 MBytes
    Channels # Dual
    DRAM Frequency 530.6 MHz
    CAS# Latency (CL) 6 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 6 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
    Command Rate (CR) 1T
    Physical Memory
    Memory Usage 34 %
    Total Physical 7.99 GB
    Available Physical 5.23 GB
    Total Virtual 16 GB
    Available Virtual 13 GB
    SPD
    Number Of SPD Modules 2
    Slot #1
    Slot #2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need recommendations on power supply, ram upgrade, GFX card, HDD

I was recommended either of these 2 GFX cards: (need mini ITX form factor)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 06G-P4-6163-KR, 6GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), Only 6.8 Inches , https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-487-261&Ignorebbr=true

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti MINI ITX OC 6G Graphics Card, Mini ITX Form Factor, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6, GV-N166TIXOC-6GD Video Card , https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-932-132&Ignorebbr=true

It was recommended to me to get this HD (I am having storage issues with only a 1 TB hard drive)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WLPRHN/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_lyLWCbTQTC15H
    Seagate Barracuda Internal Hard Drive 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch (ST4000DM004)

It was also recommended to me to use a Solid State drive just for the OS (I don't know much about this)

So given the above info, current specs, current ram and free slots and power supply could someone help advise which parts to get? Essentially I'm probably upgrading everything except the CPU

last time I built a PC was many years ago so just consider me total noob when replying

Also, I might be pushing it here with this last question. But on this current PC I did the 3d vision EDID override to make the PC think my Sony passive 3d TV is an Acer 3d monitor. If you use Nvidia 3d vision (for TVs) you can only get 1080 res and 30FPS but with the override you can get 60FPS..even paying for 3d vision you only get 30FPS...anyway, I'm worried about duplicating these settings to the new harddrive. I backed up everythign I can think of, the driver/inf file...is it as simple as just installing that same driver or does more stuff have to be backed up to replicate this on the new hard drive with as little drama possble?

and thank you in advance!

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Neither the 1060 nor the 1660 video card would need you to upgrade the power supply; but, they may not work at all in that system board. According to several other folks on forums, you must have a UEFI bios for the newer NVidia cards to work and, I hate to say it; but, you don't. The X58 chipset is from 2008 and your W3520 CPU is from 2009. The manual for your system board also references what looks like a traditional (not UEFI) BIOS to me:
    https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/121-BL-E756.pdf
    It's sort of a shame, too as either of the video cards is much, much faster than your existing one:
    750 TI: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+750+Ti&id=2815
    1060 TI: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1060&id=3548
    1660 TI: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1660+Ti&id=4045
    The EDID override is, BTW, needed due to the TV and/or the HDMI cable and would probably be needed again.
    You might have serious troubles, too, with a hard drive larger than 2 TB, especially if it would be the boot drive.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just for info; the 10xx and higher nvidia cards do [generally] need a uefi bios. Remember nvidia mfg the chipset; individual card makers mfg the cards. IF the card mfg used a legacy switch, the card will work with a legacy bios. It really is hit and miss and AFAIK, there is little or no info from the card mfgs detailing whether or not the card has the legacy switch. From my experience, IF you have a gigabyte or asus board, there is very often a bios update for the motherboard that addresses this issue. If you are using a big box ie dell, hp, etc, forget it; not going to work.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

I found that An XFX brand RX 460 will work on a socket 775 board, Heard that a GTX750 will also will work and saw RX 580's on some benchmarked 775 boards. Not familiar with a 1366 board like yours but I know it is newer than mine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice