1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Isolate a segment

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bruccutler, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruccutler

bruccutler Thread Starter

I have a 1 gbit network but have a 100 mbit NAS device. How can I segment my network so that only a specific set of machines can see the 100 mbit device. As it is now, the 100 mbit NAS device is slowing down the entire 1 gbit network.

Thanks for your help.
    - Bruce

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

What makes you think this? and what devices are you interconnected through?

Anything going PC w gigabit - switch w gigabit - nas 100mb should hit 100mb. Anything going PC w gigabit - switch w gigabit - PC w gigabit should still be gigabit as MOST switches have autosensing ports NOT that the whole switch dumps down to 100mb.

If it is I think I would replace that switch your using.

BTW if the switch does not support gigabit your not going to get gigabit even if you have gigabit adapters on your PC's.

3. jhoegl

jhoegl

If you have a Cisco managed switch you can create access lists. otherwise no other real way to prevent it.

4. bruccutler

All I know is the users are complaining that the network slowed down after I connected the NAS device. It is connected to a 10/100/1000 mbit switch. So, if they are not accessing the NAS device and are, instead, accessing the server which is running on a 1 gbit lan, the NAS shouldn't affect the speed. Correct?
    - Bruce

5. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Is your switch a managable one? I would just force the NAS' port to 100 full and leave all the rest auto.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even using an unmanaged switch, packets not routed to/from the NAS shouldn't be slowed by the NAS traffic. Something else may be going on.

Have you considered a home-run from the NAS to the server, even as a test? That would eliminate any possibility that it's contention with that device that is causing the slowdown. It's quite possible something totally different is actually the reason for the performance issue.

7. bruccutler

Home run is not a term I'm familiar with. Please define it. I will also look it up on the web as well, but I want to make sure.
    - BC

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A wire directly from the NAS to the server, not sharing any of the switches that are serving the complaining computer users. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice