1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Isolating a wired and wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dkrumlauf, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dkrumlauf

dkrumlauf Thread Starter

I want to add a wireless network in a way that will not allow wireless users to access my wired network. My thought is to put a hub or switch behind the cable modem then connect both routers to the hub. Each router would pull an IP from my ISP and this should totally isolate them. Does anyone see a problem with doing it this way? Would it be effectively the same if I plugged the wireless router into the main router but used a different IP range and subnet? Both routers need to be dhcp.

Thanks!

2. jmwills

jmwills

One ISP means one DHCP connection from the ISP. You will need multiple accoutns to configure it the way you want. But honestly, what youwant to do is very doable within one combined network by locking down the wireless side with MAC filtering, complex passwords, etc.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The easy way to do this is configure the two routers in a different manner.

Connect the wireless router directly to the broadband modem. Configure the secondary wired router with a static WAN address outside the range of the DHCP server in the wireless router, but in the same subnet. Change the base address of the wired router to a different subnet than the wireless router. For port forwarding, you can put the wired router in the DMZ of the wireless router as well.

This isolates the entire wired network behind the router's NAT firewall, and should solve your problem with only one public IP address.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not sure I agree that the best way to do this is with MAC filtering, etc. I'd much rather see an active barrier that doesn't require constant reconfiguration, and it's far more foolproof to simply stick the second router in the mix. :)

5. dkrumlauf

dkrumlauf Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll probably just put a switch behind the modem and pay the extra $5/mo. to have another IP. I need a static on the wired side for some remote access that I'd do with port forwarding. I might get a static for the wireless side too so I can remotely access that router. I'm very impressed with the speed and knowledge of your responses. I just found this site today and plan to stay with it. It's AWESOME!

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You can do it all with a single fixed IP address if you want. The following thread describes how I isolated a WEP wireless network from our wired LAN (that also has WPA protected access). We also have remote PCanywhere access to a couple of wired desktops.

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/568284-solved-mixing-wireless-wep-wpa.html

EDIT: The thread is just a more detailed version of JohnWill's information in post #3.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice