1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ISP caching possibly causing paranoia ?!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by NVAChro, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NVAChro

NVAChro Thread Starter

I'm wondering if my ISP's proxy-caching would cause my IP address to show up in someone else's logs at times when I didn't visit their site.

ISP is Telefonica, connected through a 3Com OfficeConnect Remote 812 ADSL Router.
    Have scanned for viruses, and ran HijackThis. Only BHO is Google Toolbar.

The convoluted background:

My DH's co-worker's wife has a blog, with her own domain. I've visited it about 5 times this past month, hoping that she'd posted pictures of a work trip that both my DH and her husband took.

Today, my DH calls me from work, as his co-worker is upset since his wife reviewed the web logs and claimed that I was repeatedly hitting her site, including this morning. Honestly, I didn't even bother to check my email this morning, let alone go to her site.

My DH said that his co-worker showed him a page from their server's web stats indicating that our IP address was in them, but he didn't show him the raw logs or anything with the date/time information.

Now things are strained at his office - The last time I spoke to this woman was to say 'Hello' when I picked DH up at the airport last month. Instead, she's complaining to her husband, who then complains to DH, and is spreading this at DH's office. (I've shown my husband my IE History for the past three weeks - He obviously is 'siding' with me on this.) DH said that she blocked our IP last week, and was even more convinced that I hacked into her site since somehow my IP was still appearing. :eek: She apparently has gone as far as to completely remove all the entries from her blog.

To add to my confusion - I update a volunteer website occasionally, and I looked at the raw access logs for it, (went to a 'temp' page I had been working on, so that I knew it was me), and my IP is showing up as 80.58.13.170.proxycache.rima-tde.net - And has been for at least the past week. My 'real' IP address starts with 80 - And that's the only similarity. -Their- IP address, (same ISP, same neighborhood), is listed in a filter in router, to allow FTP access from a project last spring.

I’m clueless as to how to respond to this – I don’t know if there’s something wacky happening with my router, or if this woman is truly upset about me visiting her site every couple days. :eek:

My DH's co-worker is his closest friend locally - I would be extremely grateful for any advice or explanation!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/316439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice