1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ISP connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by kzig, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kzig

kzig Thread Starter

I have a new Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop which will not connect to the ISP when I use my home phone line. I have two other computers at home that connect without any problems. When I use the computer at other locations it works fine. The Phone company has checked the line and said it is fine, they are as baffled as I am. I have tried turning down the speed and the buffers to a lower setting. The house is wired with CAD 5 wire and is only two years old. I can usually connect to modems but not always. My ISP is MSN they say they can't determine the problem. I still lean towards a phone line problem, anyone have any other ideas? Help!!!

2. Del

Del

If you have 2 other computers that connect fine and the Dell don't, I'd hardly blame the phone lines.
    Have you tried Dell's tech support?
    What Operating System are you running on the Dell?

3. kzig

kzig Thread Starter

I talked to six Dell techs checked everything they could think of they finally told me it was not there problem. So I told them to send me a new computer. They did, same problem... Three phone lines in the house, this laptop does not work on any of them. Talked to 5 techs from MSN they are done talking to me about it also. The phone company was my last resort after about 28 hrs of doing everything you can imagine to the computer. It works fine everywhere else. The two other computers in the house work fine, one is an old 233 mghz Gateway I am still using to connect at my home office... because the Dell won't work I know this sounds impossible and I understand your comment, trust me the phone lines were not even a remote possibility when I started this process. I just ran out of ideas. The operating system is XP home edition.

4. Del

Del

And you've tried it on other phone lines at your house, not in the same room everytime?
    Do you have anything electrical near the puter?

5. kzig

kzig Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried on other lines/locations in the house, even out at the box out side where the line's come in there is a plug in the box I have tried. There is a dial tone,it dials just never connects. Just keep trying. It has on occasion connected, 1out of 100 at most. Nothing unusual electrical just a monitor and printer. But I have tried it in places where there was nothing. Thanks for your help let me know if you think of anything. I am going to try unplugging everything else from the line.

6. yul

yul

which ISP do u have? and what happens after it dials?

let s do a brain storming here :)

7. kzig

kzig Thread Starter

msn, does the handshake be bop shhhh ooh ahh stuff but does not connect.

8. kzig

kzig Thread Starter

I don't know why but it started working!!!

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I bet it was a problem with one of the modems/servers on MSN's end.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice