ISP needed with DSL or broadband?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carsncats

I know this is a silly question, but I am really confused....I searched for answers but cant find this one ....If you get DSL or Broadband service....do you still need an ISP provider like AOL, MSN, Earthlink,etc...? And need to add this cost in ....thank you ....

The broadband service is actually provided by an ISP like the ones you describe. You would order the service from an ISP and pay them for it. After that, no extra charges assuming they set up the service and provide the neccessary modem free, like most do.

You don't need any of those, you'll be able to connect directly to the internet.
(You CAN continue to pay for AOL's ugly software, if you really want to.)

Normally when you get DSL/Broadband, the service is provided by the ISP, such as Earthlink, SBC, AOL, etc.
If you are migrating from Dial up to DSL, some hardware is needed, such as the modem an cabling, as well as come method of connecting it to your computer.

I just read 'do you still need an ISP'. I said yes, you said no.
was my post confusing?
I think it was a joint effort between the 2 of us. :D

Carsncats, you don't need another isp, or your old dial up isp, just the one who provide the broadband.

Moby - that's what I meant :D
He said "if you get DSL or broadband service"
So I was saying...if you get that....you don't need AOL, etc.

I think that's what I was saying anyway, I'm lost now :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online