1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ISP Problem - is it possible???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by oldie, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

That someone could be using my ADSL username/password thus blocking or slowing down my connection ???

If I send my ISP an e-mail it's replied to by "Autoreply" but with 7 attachments !!!

Hope this isn't a daft question for you guys?

I am down to a 48K connection speed - EVERYTHING has been checked out - puter - tel line - modem etc etc !!! all OK

Many thanks - oldie :confused:

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I think they would have to be on your physical line, not just using your username and PW.

3. Miz

Miz

You said your computer had been checked out but have you scanned for spyware?

If not, download, install, immediately update and then run Spybot and/or AdAware (you can use them both.) Let whichever one you choose clean up any spyware it finds.

If your DSL connection uses a static IP then, yes, someone can be using it. All they have to know is the IP to use your account. They'd have to know your password to use your email account, though.

We had a situation with our ISP that sent out a replacement modem with the relevant numbers to enter for it and the user ended up getting booted offline every evening around 6 o'clock.

Finally, after much troubleshooting, turns out the rather lame office staff at the ISP had neglected to check whatever lists they're supposed to check and had assigned the same IP number to two accounts. The second account got online every evening after work...around 6 o'clock. It took their head network guy two days to figure out what they'd done since the connection seemed to be working fine...and it was...for one or the other but not both at the same time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice