1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ISP Question

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bbh001, Oct 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbh001

bbh001 Thread Starter

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out with an ISP question>.....I went to a chat server where ppl can see the city and state that I am dialing from by doing a "whois" on my nicname!...Is there anyway to hide that while on a chat server?...I don't think it's real safe having ppl know exactly what city and state your in when it comes to chatrooms! So if anyone if familiar with how i could hide the city and state i'm dialing from..I sure would appreciate ..Thank You

:confused:

2. Cyber Samurai

Cyber Samurai

I'm guessing that this information is provided in your domain (i.e. the IP address of your computer in words instead of numbers). This is done in many ISPs. The only way I can think of to hide something like that would be to connect to the chat room via a proxy. How you do this depends on what kind of a chat room it is, if it is just an HTML or JS chat room (one that is right on a web page) then you could probably defeat it easily by running your connection through a proxy. Go to www.silentsurf.com or www.the-cloak.com to find one. If it is not an HTML chat, it might be more complicated. What kind of chat room is it?

Cyber Samurai

3. bbh001

bbh001 Thread Starter

:confused:

Samurai
    How do I find out if the chat server is HTML chat or JS chat?......The server I am trying to connect to that reveals all this information is called Chatuniverse.com If you let me know how I can find out what kind of a chat server this is I will get back to you. Thank You

4. Kento

Kento

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/55476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice