ISP Suggestions?

jban9989

I'm looking for a better ISP to suit my gaming and streaming needs. My current ISP at home is Xfinity and It's pretty expensive since there are a lot of other features bundled along with it. I'm moving out to my own pad soon and I'd want to have an internet only connection for gaming. I've been doing research and I'm considering Cox Elite Gamer and AT&T since I read from Get Internet that it's also a great option for gaming. Any suggestions or thoughts? :)

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It all depends on what service is available at the new place?

Remember that Cable (Comcast) is faster than DSL

Fireflycph

Morten
As David said. It all depends on your physical location and availability in your area. I have Spectrum (Frontier) for everything. While their TV service is horrendous (They arbitrarily change channels available to you and their boxes are old) their Internet service is the best available in this area (Southern California, Newport Beach area)
They rarely go down and they start at 200Mb. We have a household of devices, phones, laptops, tablets, desktops, tvs that stream Netflix and/or Hulu all day, plus one serious gamer machine. We never have any issues with bandwidth at all.

Of course, the availability in your area can be completely different and limited.

Couriant

James
Am I reading that AT&T is DSL? If so, then you may be in the mercy of the distance, and even if you are paying for up to 300Mbps for example, AT&T may not be able to get that speed to you. You may end up with 15Mbps... it will depend on your location as mentioned. For a gamer, or someone that may want to watch videos online, I would recommend cable internet if available.

plodr

Liz
Cable company is faster than phone company. Both cable and phone are monopolies in many locations. You'll probably have a choice of 1 cable company and 1 phone company.

jban9989

Hmmm... I'll definitely take those into consideration. Thank you guys!

plodr

Liz
Also, do research on "tech support". There are complaints about both cable and phone companies.

We have Comcast for internet and tv and Verizon for copper wired phone. We've had to call Comcast when the DTAs attached to the tvs go out. Someone usually answers within 5 minutes. Of course the help is based outside the US so it can be hard to understand.
For perhaps the 2nd time in 31 years at our home, we had no dial tone on our phone line. My husband had to call Verizon on his old flip phone. (Their website is useless; they want to sell you tv, and cellphones, not provide help). He was on hold for 2 hours and 35 minutes before he got to talk to a person. Also, the hours are limited. No help 24 x 7, so if we had them for tv or internet and lost a signal on a Saturday night, we'd have to wait until Monday morning to get help.
There is no way I'd ever choose Verizon for anything but copper wired phone. If we lose that, I will not be using them for cellphone service.

Couriant

James
BTW The Elite Gamer is a software program that is only for those on Cox Internet. If it's just you and gaming, you shouldn't need more than the 150Mbps Preferred Plan to accomplish what you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online