1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ISP to me: You've got viruses, I'll disconnect your Internet

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by 8dalejr.fan, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

This totally caught me off guard.

I got an automated message on my answering machine this afternoon from my ISP, Rogers Communications. They told me that one or more computers in my house are infected with viruses or spyware or other malware, which are sending signals out to other computers and pose a risk to others.

They told me I have 48 hours to fix the problem or they'll shut off the Internet.

Ok, I got started. Since I was on my computer (the good XP Dell one) I did a virus scan right away. No viruses. I did malware scans. Nothing turned up besides the usual harmless cookie. Hijack This logs- clean. It wasn't my computer.

Then I turned on my brother's computer (the crappy 98 noname one). I did a virus scan. No viruses. I did a malware scan and it turned up with 194 pieces of spyware or adware- several were registry keys.

I cleaned his computer and it seems to have removed it all.

Is this what was causing the problem? Is it fixed now? Am I safe now or will they still shut me off?

I didn't now Rogers could stalk me like that. I've had many computers over the years with viruses or spyware at times and this has never happened before.

It must have been pretty bad. Is it fixed now (my brother's computer I assume because mine was fine)???????

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

Rogers says the malicious process was "dssagent.exe"... I remember I removed DSSAgent stuff from my brother's computer yesterday as spyware. So it was definitely from his computer.

They said to go to Broderbund's website and download the uninstaller. I did, I ran it, it got rid of it, and then said it wasn't there anymore the second time I ran it.

It was probably bundled with the Carmen Sandiego games he has on there.

So hopefully it is fixed. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice