1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ISPs with no timeout period...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Holly3278, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I live in Southern Indiana and I am looking for an ISP that has no timeout period. I ask because I often leave my computer online for extended periods of time due to the fact that I sometimes download large files like after I format the computer and need to download all of the critical updates, norton updates, game updates, etc etc etc. Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Some websites that list ISPs would be nice too but I already know of some websites that list ISPs. Preferably an ISP $15.00 or less is what I am looking for.

2. myvicisslow

myvicisslow

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

No, I haven't checked that website out. I am not looking for dsl as it is not available in my area. I am only looking for dialup that has a fairly extended period of time until it drops the connection regardless of whether or not the modem is sending/receiving data.

4. sekirt

sekirt

5. driver_uk2001

driver_uk2001

hi there. have u tried AOL dial up? i was using their free trial and they did not ping out at all on me. most ISP's disconenct u after 60 mins or so, but aol did not disconnect me at all and i had my machine on for a long period of time. It not already tried it give it a try it may be wat ur looking for

6. Maggz

Maggz

Yea AOL only loads up your Memory with absolutely useless tasks and slows everything down. I TOTALLY reccomend AOL yeah
    </sarcasm>

:D

7. driver_uk2001

driver_uk2001

yea it might do that but u can easily sort that problem. now i had AOL in and my comp ran fine. but holly suppose there is no harm in giving a try

8. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Well, here is a response for you all. I do have AOL. However, it is my Grandpa's account and I only get on it occassionally at my apartment because he cannot get online at the same time as I do. I usually get his permission to get on my screen name before I do any extensive downloading. AOL has never timed out on me. Unfortunately, I cannot afford the high price of AOL. I can only afford $15 or less. As for all the extra memory hogging features that AOL loads, I make full use of just about all of them so those don't bother me. ;) Plus, I have plenty of memory. 512 megabytes worth and considering upgrading to 1,024 megs although I don't think I really need it. I actually love AOL except for their not so great technical support technicians. There have been times when I had a technical support technician that didn't even know what RAM was and that was after I had pronounced it multiple times to assure that he understood me.

As for the programs that prevent timing out, I have Norton SystemWorks 2003 which uses Connection Keep Alive which is supposed to keep your connection from timing out. Unfortunately, it does not work with my ISP which is Juno Platinum. I even set the Keep Alive level under the options to High and it still did not work. I would be willing to try other timeout prevention programs but I only use programs that are spyware free. Adware is ok as long as it does not use intrusive popup ads. Sorry if I'm too picky but that's just the way I am. :) Well, I look forward to future responses!

9. sekirt

sekirt

ISPs Nightmare is spyware free, according to what they say.

You can search www.Google.com and find more such programs, might even find one specifically aimed at Juno.

Juno is owned by Net Zero...I know Net Zero has tech support. I use the free version of Net Zero sometimes, which is only 10 hrs per month. I haven't noticed any time out? How long does it have to be running to normally time out?

sekirt

10. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Thank you seskirt. I might check out that program if I get the time. I have an extremely jam packed schedule right now though! lol!

11. buckaroo

buckaroo

I used these guys:

http://www.peoplepc.com/

Never had any problem whatsoever, less than $15/month and if you pay for a year up front, it's $10/month. Wholeheartedly recommended. I'm no longer on dialup, otherwise I'd still be using them.

:)

12. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Your fully qualified AOL tech support rep.

Attached Files:

13. Maggz

Maggz

I hear their awesome. Good price good quality. (y)

14. buckaroo

buckaroo

Yes (y)

Also forgot to mention they had a bunch of local access numbers. Somewhere along the line EarthLink bought them so I believe they share access numbers.

:)

15. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I was going to try People PC but when I called them to ask about the timeout period they told me that yes, they do have a timeout period so I won't be trying them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!