1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issue booting computer with Ubuntu 10.04

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by NegativeKelvin, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NegativeKelvin

NegativeKelvin Thread Starter

My linux computer, running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, has been having boot issues the last few days, instead of booting linux, it boots on a commandline with the title "initramfs". I am now trying to erase the hard drive, so I can update to 12.10 ubuntu, but it refuses to boot from the CD with 'Darik's Boot and Nuke' on it, nor will it boot from my Windows XP disk, or my Ubuntu 12.10 disk. I have told it to boot from those CD's and USB drives via the F12 boot menu.

The Ubuntu 10.04 looks like this:

I'm trying to nuke the hard drive so I can install Ubuntu 12.10.

I posted all the info from the BIOS, incase some of it might help. Thanks!

Computer info:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You shouldn't have to do anything special to "nuke" the hard drive; as part of the process of installing Ubuntu you can delete, create, format partitions.

The F12 menu is a way to specify the boot device, but no bootable CD will boot at all? Does the optical drive spin up? Does there seem to be any effort on the computer's part to read the CD?

And you're having the same problem with a bootable USB flash drive?

3. NegativeKelvin

I have been using F12, and it will totally skip booting from any device that I try to boot from, and go straight to the hard drive boot.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you change the Boot Sequence to put the optical drive first?

By the way, I just noticed that there is no number in front of "USB" at the end of your initial post. Does that mean that USB boot is not enabled? If so, enable it, and make the order: optical, USB, hard drive.

5. NegativeKelvin

I tried it already, and it looked like this:

Try 1:
    Try 2:
    It seems that no matter how I arrange the boot order, it always boots off the hard drive, but when I remove the hard drive from the sequence, it cannot find any bootable devices.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try one of those bootable CDs or flash drives with another computer just to be sure they haven't all gone bad at once.

Could be a defective optical drive, but I can't explain away the USB port at the same time as easily. :(

7. NegativeKelvin

They work in other computers, and the optical drive is fine, removed and tested in another pc. Checked Disks and flash drives already. :/

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't have any more ideas on this. :(

9. NegativeKelvin

D: If anyone else has any ideas, that would be appreciated. Thanks for trying :)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Good luck.

11. Simba7

Simba7

How are you burning the discs?

12. NegativeKelvin

For the USB, I used the Universal USB installer for linux, and for the CD/DVD's, I burned the ISO with my computer's ISO burner as directed. The disks work on other computers, and I have checked the files on them, as well as re-burning them from another computer.

13. monckywrench

monckywrench

Linux is portable, so if I run into difficulty I remove the hard disk and do an install on another machine, then pop the disk back in and I'm done. Works every time so I don't hesitate to do it.

Look up your manual on the Dell site, and note that Youtube often has notebook repair videos which can be very helpful.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!