1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

issue like non ive faced.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by failtoid, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. failtoid

failtoid Thread Starter

im having trouble with the internet throughout the entire network 3 computers in all. 90% of the time the internet fails to connect to all websites which made me think it was the network, though you can play any online game with no issues and while playing them you can try to look things up on the internet and it will say failure to load ( using firefox on mine) you cant use email or anything when its messing up which is most of the time really.. i just dont get why we can play games online on a pc aswell as ps3 while the internet is supposedly down. anyone experienced this if so i really need your help. sorry its really hard to explain the situation never seen anything like it.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. failtoid

failtoid Thread Starter

i do use a wireless connection and i did try to wire it and ended up with the same result the other two computers are wired the reason i dont think its related to the router is i can play any online game for example i can play runescape and try to search for something as im playing and come up with a "this page cannot be displayed" (firefox) and this problem arose fairly recently i'd say within the past 2 weeks, im connected to a netgear box, the sites usually work if you repidly click retry even then usually just a glimpse of the page followed by it saying the connection timed out or failed to connect. it took about 15 mins before i even got to this page to respond to your post.. im using comcast which generly works well. i can use all p2p clients and all games not constrained to the browser.

4. failtoid

failtoid Thread Starter

closed.

5. failtoid

failtoid Thread Starter

• closed.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What are all the "closed" posts about? If you've solved this, please tell us what you did.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!