1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issue with computer freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmeleon2, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmeleon2

kmeleon2 Thread Starter

Ok, so I've been having this problem with my computer intermittently freezing for about a week now, and it's got me befuddled. I'm hoping that someone on these forums may have some insight.

Basically what's happening is that my computer freezes very randomly. Sometimes it freezes as soon as Windows starts and it begins loading the initial applications. Other times, I can routinely use the computer for hours without a freeze. Other times, it will freeze after a few minutes. These freezes do not appear to have any link to the applications I run or the processor or memory usage. Also, the freezes usually involve me having to reboot. Freezes to the point where even pressing Num Lock doesn't work. Other times it'll recover and unfreeze after maybe 1-2 minutes of waiting. I have been playing WoW (probably the most intense application I use) on this machine for 2 years, and it still usually runs fine.

What I've done so far is run Memtest, and it has shown no errors. As a precaution, and because I wanted more memory, I replaced my 2x 512MB DDR RAM sticks with 2x 1GB DDR RAM sticks a few days ago. It hasn't made any difference.

At this point, I've also run routine maintenance like virus scans, adware scans, disk defrag, etc. and have come up with nothing. I'm guessing the 3 likely culprits at this point are either the motherboard failing, the processor, or the power supply. The reason I say motherboard is that infrequently, the computer hasn't been recognizing my DVD D: drive when it turns on. Seems like it could be an indication of motherboard failure...

Specs on my machine are:
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+ processor
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
    Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-pin DDR 400 SDRAM memory
    BFG Tech GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express video card

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. This is getting really frustrating, and I'm thinking about tossing this thing off my balcony and rebuilding if I can't get this figured out. Also, they no longer make or sell my motherboard, and I don't even know if I can directly swap it out without issues :(

Thanks in advance!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy

Your Hard drive sound OK not too much clicking...

3. kmeleon2

kmeleon2 Thread Starter

I haven't noticed anything sounding differently with the hard drive.

I'm using a Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3Gb/s hard drive.

About 15GB of 80GB free.

4. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

Make sure you run Check Disk to check the hard drive.

Also if you have a modem...take it out and if you need it then replace it.

5. Megabite

Megabite

Checked for a clogged heatsink lately and all fans spinning nicely......

Just to eliminate re-install video driver and check for any updates

Cables plugged in firmly from Motherboard to DVD drive and HD

Defragged hard drive

6. kmeleon2

kmeleon2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I will do this tonight when I get home.

As far as the modem, I use the onboard LAN connection. I had a Linksys Wireless card in the machine until recently, but I removed it once the freezing started to eliminate one variable since I don't use the wireless anyways.

7. kmeleon2

kmeleon2 Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the good advice. I routinely open the case and spray canned air into the fans to make sure they are all spinning nicely, and I just checked all the cabling the other day.

Maybe a stupid question, but how would I check for clogged heatsink? I'm hoping that's not the problem since I have my temp probe right next to the heatsink and I rarely run over 85 or 87 Fahrenheit.

8. Megabite

Megabite

Dust is what I meant and if you use a can of air I'm sure you blow the heatsink out at the same time

9. Ross37

Ross37

You need to free up some space on your hard drive. Keep it to 30% free.

10. kmeleon2

kmeleon2 Thread Starter

I ran Check Disk as recommended and it said the disk was clean.

I'll try freeing up some drive space, defragging, running the Check Disk utility again, and then seeing if my problem continues.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!