1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

issue with defragmenting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tigerchick411, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tigerchick411

tigerchick411 Thread Starter

I posted this is another forum but didn't get the proper help. I've noticed the last few times I've defragmented, that I'm getting a message saying "some of these files could not be defragmented---check report to see these files" So when I check the report, there aren't any files listed. The results of the defrag show one red line separate from the others, with a couple blue lines beside it. I've NEVER had a problem with defragging, I do it pretty often, just to keep everything neat, and saving disc space. I have been installing and uninstalling a few things recently, but removed ALL traces of those before defragging again. I was told by this person in the other forum that "I don't need to defrag more than 2-4 times a year", which sounded crazy! And also "not to worry about those sectors that don't deframent". BUT why have I never had a problem, and it would always put everything back together with no stray files, until now? What is with these files that won't defrag, and why aren't they listed where the report said they would be?? What's up with this??:(

-Maria

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You are right. Defrag a couple times a year is crazy.

It is no big deal to have files that don't "defrag". Some game programs, and database programs "lock" the files they have and you can not defrag them. For example a database file like you get with QuickBooks or other accounting program doesn't want the database to move or change. Hence a message can't defragment.

This is not a problem.

4. tigerchick411

tigerchick411 Thread Starter

I understand what you're saying, but I'm questioning why it's never happened before? I mean, I've had my computer for almost 2 years, and I've never had that problem. So if it was Quickbooks, or something like you mentioned, why didn't I get that result before? And also, why wouldn't the defragmenting report list the files? It's not that I'm thinkig it's a big deal, but it just makes me wonder why. Because every other time I would have ALL the files back together the way they should be. It's just weird.:confused:

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It could be a file associated with something you installed recently so this is the first time you've noticed this.

It's really not worth losing sleep over :)

But, if it's bugging you try defragging in Safe Mode, that might do the trick.
    If not try JkDefrag, it's a free program that does a good defrag :- http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice