1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issue with External Hard Drive-Just Blinking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bappida69, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bappida69

bappida69 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an external drive that was working fine till today(Simple Tech 250 GB USB Drive). I had to restart the hard drive and now my computer does not recognize it any more. I have tried different USB ports...even tried with my lap top, but it is not recognized. I could not find this under my computer>device manager>

As expected, I have lots of stuff in my hard drive and it would be a nightmare to think about losing all that:eek: When I switch on the hard drive, there is a solid red light and a blinking blue light. Is there any way to correct this?? And more importantly, if the hard drive is a goner, any reasonable ways to recover the data??

Thanks in anticipation!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, I suspect you'll have to remove the physical drive from the USB enclosure and connect it to a desktop machine as a secondary drive as the next step.

It's quite possible the USB enclosure has died, which is actually more common than the drive dying. If so, all the data is still there. If you connect it directly and can't access the drive, then we'll have to discuss recovery options. :)

3. bappida69

bappida69 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Not sure how to do the removal of physical drive and connect it.:confused: Also, my basic PC configuration is pretty old. So not sure if I can directly connect it as a secondary drive. I am running Win 2000 XP on one drive and the configuration is 700 MhZ with 256 MB ram. Is this an issue??

Also, are there any recovery options??:D

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may indeed have issues with that configuration. You need to remove it from the USB case, since it's quite possible the drive is fine. We won't know that until it's tested individually.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/600732