1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issue with latest Microsoft Patch Update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by StephS, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StephS

StephS Thread Starter

I need some major help with the latest Windows Update (the set of patches that came out this Tuesday to help with the security issues), I think it is causing issues for my laptop PC. I'm not computer illiterate but I'mdefinitely nothing more than a beginner and this is starting to make me panic a little ^_^;

My laptop has been having major Startup and boot issues since the update. My laptop freezes and goes to a white-grey screen. The computer does start up - ie: the screen comes on (white screen, unless I am lucky enough to get a boot screen for a moment) the fans run, but it takes several attempts at turning it on and off again, and hitting either F12 or F8 (still not sure which one is the one that works) to get to a screen that allows me to repair the Startup and go back to a retore point. The last time this happened it also beeped at me however I would not be able to tell you what the code sounded like (I...panicked somewhat).

However, the restore point was made just after Windows downloaded the updates onto my comouter (I had automatic updates on), and I cannot shut down without my computer wanting to install the updates. So I'm stuck in an endless cycle of downloading these updates, then being forced to restore.

Can anyone help with either finding a way to stop my laptop installing these updates, or does anyone know a way to troubleshoot the updates themselves?

Specs:

Dell Studio

Windows Version:

7 - Home

Uses:

Internet/MS Office/Some digital artwork (very minimal)

Barely 3 months old

Virus/Defrag scan:

Clear on both counts

Thanks. I'm not great with computers at all and this is starting to worry me.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a non-Windows firewall or security suite I would uninstall, or at least disable, it while getting this mess straightened out.

Use Windows Update (Start - All Programs - Windows Update) to install the updates "manually." If you still have trouble you can use this method to install only a subset of the updates at a time until determining which one is causing the problem.

3. StephS

StephS Thread Starter

Cheers for the help, it's hard to troubleshoot these things when you've got know clue what's going on ^_^; And tech support around here doesn't function on weekends.

I will try each manually, and post here with anything that crops up.

Really, thanks again.

4. StephS

StephS Thread Starter

Right, the one update I allowed my laptop to install before going to bed last night (Australia/timezone fun) was this one:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2360131)
    Download size: 17.2 MB
    You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
    Update type: Important
    Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=202013
    Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

When it installed and booted again, it worked fine. I did some work then I shut it down for the night. Booting my laptop again, this morning, I got the same white screen issue once again and had to reset to a restore point.

I checked the error codes before finishin the reset and everything listed as error 0x0, citing an "unspecified change to the system" (I think) as the issue.

Does it make sense for this to be the patch causing the error? Or could this be coincidental and there be a large issue with this laptop.

And, ugh, sorry for the questions, is there anyway - now that they have been downloaded but not installed (since I got thrown back to that restore point again) to remove them for now to prevent them installing at all?

5. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Open The Control panel
    Select Programs/uninstall a program
    On the left, select "View installed updates" This will roll out all your updates sequentially.
    Select all those, one by one, for the recent date, and select uninstall.for each.
    To stop therm worrying you:
    Right click each and choose "Hide" from the drop down window.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's been my experience that there is no problem with Windows updates except for an occasional glitch (that gets fixed on the 2nd try) and for conflicts/incompatibility/corruption with a non-Windows firewall or security suite and maybe for conflicts with malware. Thus, I will repeat ...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice