1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Issue with my monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rjreia, Aug 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Rjreia

Rjreia Thread Starter

Hi all,

this evening whilst playing a game I noticed I have white lines shooting across my PC screen. At first I thought it was something to do with the game but it was still there on my desktop when I closed the game now. This happened out of no where, I haven't touched my monitor at all today (it was on standby so I didn't even need to turn it on). The only thing I've noticed is that when I increase my refresh rate to the monitors max (144) the lines get a lot bolder, when switching back to 60 they become less visible. I don't think the screen itself is damaged, as I say it hasn't moved all day and it was fine all morning.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

thanks!

2. replay

replay

1st thing is to connect the monitor to a different computer
    See if problem remains

3. Rjreia

Rjreia Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply!
    Unfortunately this isn't possible right now as the only other PC in my house at this moment doesn't have the correct port for my monitor :( and I do not know anyone else that has a pc (madness!!).
    I really don't think the monitor is damaged, I'd say if anything is broke or damaged it's my graphics card. I've definitely established that the lines get a lot worse when I increase the refresh rate above 60hz. I've also noticed that the Nvidia control panel no longer allows me to pick 1440p or 4k as my resolution, which is why I think my card is damaged.

4. replay

replay

Do u have onboard video on your motherboard, if so take out the video card and try that

5. Rjreia

Rjreia Thread Starter

Hey I just figured it out...it is my monitor lol! I removed the cable connecting my PC to my monitor and the lines were still there on the screen. I guess it's just been damaged somehow without me realizing. I unplugged it several times yesterday to see if it would fix it and didn't even think about the fact the lines were still there when the monitor was not plugged into the PC (very dumb moment).

Anyway thanks for your help :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231248

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice