Issue with PC no longer recognising SSD and HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MarcusK

Hi,

I have been using my PC for over a year without issue (built myself), I turned it on today and I suddenly it comes up with Automatic start up repair.

It went through it all just to tell me that it still couldn’t find a resolution and had a Stop Code of NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

Looking this up it says that I have my hard drives formatted incorrectly for what the BIOS is set to.

I booted up the BIOS and its set to Legacy & UEFI, setting it to UEFI only and it only has the option to boot to BIOS, can’t load anything else.

I have the following:

Windows 10 64bit
MSI Z390-A PRO
i9 9900KF
Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 X2 (32GB)
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Ventus GP, 11GB

Any other details you would like?

Marcus.

Did you try setting it to legacy? Whether it boots or not depends on the bios matching how the hd is setup. If it doesn't work using UEFI then try Legacy.

MarcusK

Did you try setting it to legacy? Whether it boots or not depends on the bios matching how the hd is setup. If it doesn't work using UEFI then try Legacy.
I only have two options "Legacy & UEFI" or "UEFI" and I have tried both, Legacy & UEFI goes to the error messages, UEFI only boots to the BIOS menu.

So I would use Legacy & UEFI. Because it reached the hdd and produced a Windows error message. Did you go on to Advanced Troubleshooting? In there is a Startup Repair which maybe of use.

MarcusK

Yeah, I am using Legacy & UEFI, it's the only way to get past the BIOS menus.

Yes, I have tried almost all options in Advanced Troubleshooting (aside from completely formatting the harddrives as I don't believe they should need to), Startup Repair kept coming up stating "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"

I also tried to do a fresh install of windows yet it comes up with "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

now why would it suddenly be saying this of almost a year and a half of using these disks with no issue?

I assume you are using a USB created by MS Media Creation Tool to reload Windows. Once started, go use Custom Install and delete all partitions on the HDD and let it use the newly unallocated space and let it go from there.

MarcusK

Yes I am using a USB Media Creation Tool. Won't deleting all partitions lose all my data?

MarcusK

and also that doesn't explain why this would suddenly be a problem after having no issues with the way these hard drives were setup for over a year!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online