1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issue with POSTing after moving to a barebones. Thinking new MB is dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Triburos, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Triburos

Triburos Thread Starter

Hey folks.

So I recently moved over alot of parts into a barebones after a - presumed - dead motherboard was preventing POST.

Since various other parts needed replacing like the tower, processor, and of course; the motherboard, I just picked up a barebones involving those bits and a few extras.

Anyways, got it assembled with the help of a tech acquaintance, but wouldn't ya know it; no POST. Mouse and Keyboard light up, the DVD Drive can eject and light up, tower and heat sink fans spin, but no display or POST. Common problem amongst builders, but this seemed eerie right off the bat because it was the exact same situation that lead me to throwing down for a full new barebones in the first place due to a dud motherboard.

So I tried a few things, namely unplugging my hard drives and DVD Drives completely, which didnt solve it. So I then tried triggering a RAM error beep by removing my memory.

Still no beep. So now I'm worried that my new MB is DoA or dead in some form or another. However, I'd like to get an answer for two questions before I concede that this is the case.

1. The new tower came with this weird cable that links into what seems to be the power and reset buttons. It has a USB symbol on the head, and "SS" on it as well, and the front of the plug has twenty small squares. I google searched it and it appears to be something called a SuperSpeed USB. Is this important? Because I couldnt find anything on the MB that fits it. Worried because it seems important for the power to link to the tower properly. Despite the power turning on regardless. Keep in mind that I didn't do much of the wiring myself.

2. One thing I noticed after attempting to boot without hard drives or a DVD Drive was that the fan within my power supply was not spinning. It was supplying power; the MB could find power and light up any lights connected to it and my fans as well, but the fan inside the power supply it's self was not spinning. It seemed like a ghostly power supply, and im hoping that it's the culprit and not my MB.

Does anyone have any possible explainations for this that might save me from calling in a dead motherboard replacement? If specs are needed, let me know. Ill get to them asap if asked.

Cheers in advanced guys!

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Power supply was the first thing that came to mind reading the post. Are you sure all the parts are compatible? It would help to tells us what you have.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the fan is not spinning in your power supply that is an indicator there. A power supply might provide power to lite some lights, and spin some fans, but not the proper power to boot the system. What manufacturer and model number is the Power Supply?

Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

4. Triburos

Triburos Thread Starter

Hey folks, cheers for the reply.

@KomputerKid To be honest, I don't know. I assumed that if every power cord could fit everything, that ment that it was compatible. Is that not the case?

And yeah, I'll tell yah my parts. Sorry for not doing so earlier! Look below for info.

@dustyjay Phew, I'm glad it's looking like a PSU issue. Even though I really liked this one :(.

I don't know if I can supply *everything* on that list you mentioned without any help on locating them (as an example; how do I find the revision number on the MB? How about finding voltage on the rails?) but here's the parts I'm working with:

Power Supply: Corsair TX750 — 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
    Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red
    Processor: AMD FX-8300 3.3ghz Eight-Core
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTS 250

Cheers again, guys!

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The TX750 is a high quality PSU, manufactured by Seasonic for Corsair. How old approximately is the power supply. That power supply has a 5 year warranty, if it has indeed failed you could get it replaced for free (maybe you'd have to pay shipping.)

6. Triburos

Triburos Thread Starter

It's about 3 years of age if I had to guess. Could probably pull up the order date from my Amazon page and find the exact date.

Edit: Yep. The order date for the PSU was back in November 30th, 2012.

Unfortunately I lack the physical reciept. Am I boned in that case? If not, could you point me in the direction to get it replaced? I'd truely appreciate it! If I am outta luck, well that's just a lesson learned :).

Also, is there any way to determine that it's the PSU that's causing this *for sure*? Because the whole 'No POST, no beeps, no display' thing can happen for any number of reasons, and if there's a way to confirm that it's causing it outside of a whole bunch of trial and error, that'd be great. But sadly I don't have a spare PSU lying around :(. On top of that, shortly before I started moving into the new barebones, I did a volt reading on the rails and everything seemed just fine. Can a part go bad simply from lack of use? Because it hasnt been in use for about 4 months as I was saving up to pick up the barebones I got.

Cheers again for your assistance, it means alot!

7. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

A screen shot of your Amazon order page might be enough. Amazon customer service should be able to help you. The only way I know to test a PSU is to plug it in to another computer.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The best and easiest way to check if it is the power supply is to jump in a known good power supply, if the system boots normally then that is your answer. I have never had to return a power supply, or any computer component that I have ordered on line. (guess I have been very lucky) I would contact Amazon first, you should be able to print out your sales invoice.

9. Triburos

Triburos Thread Starter

Darn, that's a shame. Yeah this is the only desktop I have in the household and I can't think of anyone who would allow me to test it on their set up.

Well, considering that the PSU has an obvious problem in that the fan isn't spinning inside of it, while the MB is brand new and not as likely to have a problem with it, I'll just try biting the bullet and try replacing the PSU and see how that goes.

Cheers for the advice guys, been a big help. I'll give a reply back to see if it worked out :).

10. Triburos

Triburos Thread Starter

Oh actually guys, I do have a PSU lying around.

It's called a SolidGear Neutron 650W. But the problem is that I've heard countless negative opinions about this thing. Some of which scare me into not wanting to use it.

I dunno; should I give it a try just to see if I can get a POST? Lemmie know.

11. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

If you hook it up right I wouldn't be afraid. If not just to test to see if the PSU is the problem.

12. Triburos

Triburos Thread Starter

I can certainly try. I've never actually hooked up a PSU on my own, I had a friend help with that. But I,m assuming if I can get a PSU out, I can also get a PSU in as well.

I can give it a shot.

13. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

One suggestion is when you unhook wires you tag them to where they go. I use colored markers. Then do the same on the wires on the one you're putting in. It saves a lot of risk.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice