1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issue with the taskbar on startup, now also during regular use.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by obscuredhavoc, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. obscuredhavoc

obscuredhavoc Thread Starter

Argh. Been plauging me since a clean install of windows 7. Upon boot, the taskbar does not actually respond at all. I have to hit CTRL ALT DELETE, to get to the splashscreen, then hit cancel, and bam problem fixed...
    At first, this would work until the next system restart, well all the sudden today it stopped. I can't tell if it's explorer.exe hanging, or what. But as of right now the taskbar is not actually responding until I do the CTRL ALT DELETE trick, then it'll work for one or two clicks, or until I switch into a program and actually click inside it.

I have two browser windows open currently, and i can switch between the two easily enough, just mouse over and click and the other one comes to the fore-ground, but I also have a PANDA CLOUD running a full scan, again, but i cannot switch to it unless I use ALT TAB.

When I mouse over the taskbar, the items do not "light up" or anything as such, until I use CTRL ALT DELETE.

I've read several posts on microsofts support site about this issue, but it's mostly filled with incomprehensible bs and microsoft techs stating to do system restores... Since this has been happening from a fresh install, the freezing on startup, i don't think that'll change a thing.

I'm at my wits end, when observing task manager, nothing seems to be hung up, none of the process's are listed as "Not responding" I really have no clue what's going on with this.

Any info you need just ask. Sorry for the long post, Just don't know how to word this correctly.

Today i've been having problems actively switching to a different window by just using the mouse. From a browser to a MSN chat window for instance, or from this browser to panda, but not an issue switching to my other browser by just a click... Idk. Please help.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please provide your computer specs.
    The system info utility results, please.
    http://forums.techguy.org/site-comments-suggestions/1043674-system-info-utility.html

Which W7? 32 or 64 bit? Which SP?

Do you refer to the Windows 7 splash screen before the W7 log in?

From the very 1st boot after a re-install?

Did you run a quick [ or advanced or other name ] format? The quick format does not include a check disk.

Do you mean simply ctrl alt del, or do you mean bringing up task manager?

Have you run process monitor & process explorer?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533.aspx

3. obscuredhavoc

System info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8167 Mb
    Graphics Card: ASUS HD7850 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953639 MB, Free - 746236 MB; E: Total - 476929 MB, Free - 237252 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8Z68-V GEN3
    Antivirus: Panda Cloud Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

It's windows 7 64 BIT Ultimate.

The splash screen i'm referring to is after you log in. Once you log in, and notice the taskbar is non-responsive, and just hit CTRL ALT DELETE, and it shows up with Lock This Computer, Switch User, Log Off, Change Password, Star Task Manager, Cancel

Once you hit that screen, all you have to do is go down to CANCEL, and the taskbar will be responsive, and the rest of the desktop aswell. (Forgot to mention, after the initial login from a restart or power up {not resuming from hibernation}the desktop icons do not respond either.)

I actually used BOOT N NUKE/equivalent utility to completely wipe my main system drive before the reinstallation, because this issue was plaguing me before (And the main reason for the reinstall.)
    I believe it was a quick format, but I will run a disk check in the next few minutes.

No, I have not ran process monitor& Process explorer. I'm not really too sure what i would even be looking for with a utility like that, with the standard task manager, no process ever shows up as "not responding"

I'm sure it's worth mentioning, last night as I posted this, the taskbar was 'screwy' and was constantly locking up, but this morning when I crawled out of bed and resumed the computer from hibernation, the taskbar has not yet froze on me. (I still had to stab CTRL ALT DELETE and hit cancel as soon as I resumed though but after that, no issue) It's been about an hour now, and it's yet to cause any issues.

Thank you for the response! :)

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

YOU are welcome. :)

When did the computer last work well? When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important. What changed; a hardware or software installation or removal; an update to W7 [ check your W7 update history ] or update to your anti malware [ panda Cloud ] or other antimalware program / programs ]; an update to Java or an Adobe program for example?

Is this your motherboard?
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8Z68VGEN3/

I suggest that you backup your data & create a system restore point before any troubleshooting steps, to include chkdsk /r.

If you haven't already done so, please boot to the W7 advanced boot menu, tapping F8 1x / sec during startup. Select last known good config.
    Does the problem occur?

If the problem occurs, reboot; this time into safe mode.
    Does the problem occur?

Do you have another account / profile created on this computer? If so, does the problem occur when that user logs into / onto W7?

If you don't have another account, enable "THE ADMINISTRATOR" account & reboot; log into "THE ADMINISTRATOR".

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html

Be sure to disable "THE ADMINISTRATOR" account when it is no longer needed.

Which, if any hardware diags have you run?

RF123

5. obscuredhavoc

Yep, that's the motherboard I have. I'm running down the list of things to do right now, and will update as completed.

I honestly cannot remember the first time this problem lifted up its head, but i remember it was messing with me for at least 3 months before I decided to do a fresh install. I built this computer from scratch, so nothing has changed hardware wise since I've built it.

And from the very first time, of this fresh install, it started doing it instantly.

No hardware diagnostics were done.

No, no other user account is on this computer, but I just activated the built in administrator to test in a few minutes after trying safe mode.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Did you have the same problem before the clean RE - install?

If so, the problem is caused by hardware, or a driver that was used in both installs, or a program installed each time.

Have you tried the latest drivers from ASUS Tek?

How long after you log in, using your standard account / profile, does the problem occur?

It was my understanding the problem happened immediately after the appearance of the desktop. W7's splash screen; the 4 moving, colored dots that form the W7 logo, appears before the login screen.

If you provide the pages, I'll try to decypher them for you.
    An additional benefit would be that I wouldn't waste your time suggesting something that you had already tried.

RF123

7. obscuredhavoc

The only thing i might not have updated drivers for, would be my bios. And that's for the BIOS itself, and not the drivers through windows. ASUS has horrid options to actually update the bios, and thus I never actually get around to do it.

Yes, it was happening on my last installation, also, but I believe the system was running perfectly fine for awhile before it started doing it. I honestly cannot remember clearly, as I built this system last june I believe.

It was literally directly after I logged in, from the initial boot screen where you select your user profile.

The thing is, i just finally ran the CHECKDSK with "Scan for and attempt repair of bad sectors" enabled also. It took nearly 3 hours, and two restarts later, the problem has yet to present itself.

I just restarted again, to double check, and it hasn't reared its head yet.
    I still have the administrator profile active, and am probably just going to leave it enabled.

I didn't change any software configurations or anything, just ran the check disk and apparently it sorted itself out for now. I was planning on leaving this thread open for a couple days as unsolved, just incase the issue actually represents itself, because I feel like this was extremely too easy of a fix that followed me through a fresh install.

Again, thank you for the responses, and I'll for sure update if it pops up again, or mark as solved within by Wednesday if the problem doesn't reappear.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

I am very hesitant to update a bios. Unless I am experiencing a problem directly caused by the bios, which a BIOS update is designed to fix I don't flash my BIOS. I've seen some motherboards that have some way of backing up the BIOS, but I don't understand how that could be useful if the motherboad becomes unresponsive after a BIOS update. I'm with you. ;)

Yes, 3 hrs is not surprising. How large is your HDD? SSD HDDs scan a lot faster than platter drives, but SSDs are more expensive / GB, and I haven't seen SSD > 200 GB.

Good to know that there is progress. You can post the chkdsk /r report. It's stored in the Event Viewer. There's a tutorial about finding it, from seven forums.

Keep us posted.

Best of success.

RF123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice