1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issue with turning on/ staying on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pjsparks7, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pjsparks7

Pjsparks7 Thread Starter

I am currently having an issue with my PC either powering on, but no POST, or while it is on it shuts down, but remains powered.

My specs:
    CPU: Ryzen 5 1500x, no overclocking.
    MoBo: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
    RAM: 2x4GB Patriot Viper DDR4 2300MHz
    SSD: Generic 1TB SATA 3 drive
    GPU*: Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1070
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1
    *upgraded from a Windforce OC 1050ti, the issue started with this upgrade.

When the computer is off, some times if I try to turn it on, the fans will light up and spin, and my LED strip will also light up, but there is no output to my display. Trying to shut the computer off with the power button does nothing, and the only way to turn it off is from the power supply.

This will also happen in the middle of using my computer. I have not found it to happen only when it is running under load; it seems to happen randomly. It will power off the the state where the fans and LEDs are on, but there is not output.

The only way I have found to fix this is by shorting the clear CMOS pins, and that is not a permanent fix.

I have tried re-seating all power connections, tested the motherboard battery voltage, and tried using my old 1050ti card. The “no post” state happens much more frequently with the new 1070 than it does with the 1050ti. That leads me to believe it is related to power consumption, but my power supply is 750W and was bought refurbished last August.

I have been told that updating the BIOS may fix this, but as the last time I updated a BIOS I ruined a motherboard to a point past repair.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would suspect the power supply or the motherboard.

The only real way to test is by swapping hardware. I would start with the power supply.

3. Pjsparks7

Pjsparks7 Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I don’t have any other motherboards or power supplies on hand.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Purchasing a refurbished pw supply is just asking for a problem. Install a quality pw supply as the first step in fixing the problem. Good ie recommended brands; corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY]
    Seasonic, or Antec [HCG models ONLY]

5. Pjsparks7

Pjsparks7 Thread Starter

It was a certified refurbished EVGA power supply, but I actually found that the card works perfectly in the second pci-e slot. I’ve tried updating the chipset driver but that did not help.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, purchasing a refurbished pw supply is asking for a problem [which you now have] IF you want to find the cause, the very first step is installing a quality pw supply.

7. Pjsparks7

Pjsparks7 Thread Starter

I mean for now it works, albeit with 8x instead of 16x pci-e, so I’m not too worried about it.

8. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    I would have to agree with the others and suggest investing in a quality power supply. That is likely the cause of your problems.

9. Pjsparks7

Pjsparks7 Thread Starter

So I’m reopening this after a couple days, and I’ve determined it is NOT the power supply. I had it under load with Furmark for an hour with no issues. All voltages are reading correctly as well.

10. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    So to verify: are you saying that you've had zero problems with this prior to your upgrade to the GTX 1070? Was this card new or used?

11. Pjsparks7

Pjsparks7 Thread Starter

Yeah, it started with the 1070. And I bought it used on eBay from a reputable seller. Or at least as reputable as you can get on eBay.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice