1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issue with Windows 8 tablet

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by confusedkid1996, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. confusedkid1996

confusedkid1996 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I didn't know where else to ask for advice so I hope this forum is correct.
    Around a month ago my mom bought me a laptop that also doubles as a tablet for college - this was all new to me as I usually just use a desktop PC at home.
    Anyway, the tablet/laptop is a HP Pavilion x2.
    I didn't have any issues with it up until tonight.
    In the middle of the screen at the bottom of the tablet there is a windows logo/button that is backlit and usually vibrates and takes me to the windows 8 screen when pressed - well tonight it stopped doing that. I rebooted my tablet thinking this would solve the issue but it didn't, instead it made it worse, now the windows 8 logo/button isn't backlit at all!
    I have asked my mom and it isn't covered under warranty so I have no idea what to do.
    What could the issue be? I don't think I have messed with it in any way, nothing has been spilt on it and it has never been dropped. I also haven't done any recent updates that could've effected it.
    Thanks for any answers in advance.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. With respect when you say
    You will know if you have, - will you not - so when you say I DO NOT THINK - if you have been changing settings etc., now is the time to say so, as we have only the information you provide to work with and we need to know ALL details to stand any chance of finding the cause.

Why please on a month ago -purchase - was it second hand.

is there please any further model details on the tablet

3. confusedkid1996

Hey thank you for your response.
    I haven't messed with any settings at all that's why I'm so confused.
    Yes it was purchased second hand, I'm not entirely sure where it was from as it was off of eBay, however the seller was verified and had more than 10 in stock so I guess it was some kind of distributor. However the laptop didn't come with any instructions, just literally the laptop and power cable.
    The full model is HP Pavilion x2 11-h003sa.
    Sorry I didn't provide more info beforehand, I'm kinda new to this :)

4. Macboatmaster

No need to apologise
    When you reply please just click reply - no benefit in quoting back to me part of my post
    Please only quote anything you wish to highlight

Does the same problem occur when the tablet is docked and used as a laptop

5. confusedkid1996

When the tablet is docked the windows key doesn't light up anyway and is disabled - I guess HP did this so that you don't accidentally knock it whilst working with the dock. When the tablet is undocked the key should light up and become functional however since yesterday it doesn't do that, I booted up this morning and the windows key lit up and was usable (For example it took me to the windows screen and vibrated as normal) for around 2 minutes and then it stopped working again.

6. Macboatmaster

It sounds like a power fault
    when it worked and took you to the windows 8 screen please describe what occurred then
    which windows screen are you talking about the lock screen etc.

7. confusedkid1996

When I touched the button it vibrated as it normally does and opened up the windows 8 home screen (With all of my tiles and apps on and such) so I thought perhaps the issue was fixed and went back to my studies but a few minutes later I tried touching the button again and it didn't respond or vibrate, nothing happened and I stayed on my desktop instead of the button taking me to the windows 8 screen. I then powered down again to see if I could get it to work again and when it powered on for the second time the light was no longer backlit again.

8. Macboatmaster

OK
    When the tablet is docked - does it power on take you to windows and work correctly

In other words is the problem only when used as the tablet

In view of your last post it certainly seems as though there is a bad connection of the power button - I see a number of people have reported similar problems, with some posting that they had to hold down the button for five seconds or so to obtain any response.

On the tablet - not with it docked - hold down the windows key and the power button for 20 seconds.

then dock it so that it is powered and try if that makes any difference

9. confusedkid1996

The issues only seem to happen when it is in tablet mode. I have no issues whilst using it docked as the windows key is already disabled by default. The only time I need to use this windows key is during tablet mode in which I will want to switch to my windows 8 home screen more quickly - that seems to be the only use for this button.
    I tried the power button and windows key for 20 seconds and docked the tablet and it worked as normal but I then removed the dock and again the windows key isn't backlit and is basically unusable.

10. Macboatmaster

1. This is not the solution as I do not yet know the cause of the problem but here is the HP web page for your computer with the download of the user manual etc. should you wish them
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-11-x2-PC/5423361/model/6454528/troubleshooting

2. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...hscreen-and-windows-button-issue/td-p/4272346

I include it only for information I do not think the suggested solution will help you

3. HAVE YOU installed any third party software of any kind - the date of which coincides with the problem

4. Please confirm that it is the windows LOGO on the screen that is normally lit and which you tap on - that is not now working

11. confusedkid1996

Thank you for the links they're very helpful as I never received a manual with the laptop.
    I have not installed any software or programmes in the past 2 weeks or so, I simply use this device for college work and watching YouTube so I have had no reason to.
    Yes, the issue is the windows key/logo that is normally lit up is no longer working - or only works occasionally for about a minute, however since my last reboot the back light on the key is now gone, seemingly permanently.

12. Macboatmaster

So please clarify as I am reading differing reports on this HP
    When it is not lit - does it then not work OR is the problem ONLY that is not lit
    The reason I ask is I have just read a detailed post about how to disable the light on it because the person found it distracting when using the tablet

13. Macboatmaster

14. confusedkid1996

The button doesn't work at all whilst not lit, however sometimes it will be backlit and still won't work - if it happens to work whilst backlit it fails again after a minute or so, it's very temperamental and for the past two hours or so of restarts and such it hasn't lit up again.
    I ran the HP solutions through it as you linked me and apparently no errors or solutions were found.

15. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Sorry I have no other ideas
    I am reasonably certain it is a hardware issue
    Depending on how you feel or how your mother decides I think the furtherance of finding the cause of the problem or indeed the solution if there is one may well be HP - as of course there tech advice for a problem of this nature will always be the best available

If I thought it would help I would suggest a restore to a date before the problem started, but I really doubt that it is other than a hardware problem and a system restore point is not of course going to fix that.

I wish you the best of luck with it

Perhaps someone else will post a suggestion.

Whatever you do, please do not try any system cleaners, registry cleaners or anything of that nature you may find on the web.
    Those sort of programs will never fix this problem but certainly have the potential to cause other problems.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice