1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

issues bridging from router to router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by malm123, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malm123

malm123 Thread Starter

modem - router - PC - router... confusing? it gets better

im currently hosting a deticated counterstrike source server behind a router, its working now and all the ports are fowarded. However, i want to have a private network in my office that the tennants downstairs can't access, i have a seperate router for it, but i cant seem to bridge internet from the second eithernet adapter in the server to the second router. whenever i create the bridge, the server loses internet. DHCP on the second router is off, i dont know where to go from here. let me know any advice.

Thanks,
    -Mike

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, since you actually want the NAT layer to be active, I'm not sure that you actually want to disable DHCP. In this scenario, you also don't want any bridging, since as you say, this is a private network.

How about starting with the make/model of each of the router?

3. malm123

malm123 Thread Starter

okay i have half- solved the problem, the internet works no matter which router you are plugged into, which is priority, but the problem now is the tennants downstairs can access my fileshare server, and the port fowarding isnt working for the counterstrike source server

the routers are both Dlink,
    one is a DIR-655
    and one is a DI-614+

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Like I said, you do NOT want bridging, you want the secondary router to be using it's standard routing function.

You'll have to change the base address of the secondary router to something other than 192.168.0.1, since that's being blocked by the primary router having the same address.

Reset the secondary router to factory defaults.
    Enter the web based setup and change the base address to 192.168.1.1
    Connect the WAN/Internet port of the secondary router to one of the LAN/Network ports of the primary router.
    For full port forwarding capability on the secondary router, you can configure the WAN section of the secondary router using a static address. For the D-Link standard router, I'd use 192.168.0.200, and configure the primary router's DMZ to that address.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice