Issues Connecting Chromebook to HP Printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dr.Lena

My chromebook is giving me a hard time adding my HP ENVY printer to use.

When I go to settings to add the printer with its appropriate IP address it gives me the message:
"Couldnt detect a printer, please enter printer address again"

I dont know what I'm doing wrong.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Dr. Lena

Dr.Lena

HEY mike! Thank you for the link.

I tried doing everything they Instructed. I'm still having issues with the IP address being accepted and the printer showing up as an option when I turn the wifi on.

Any thoughts on that are welcome everyone 😊

plodr

Liz
First step: Go here
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index and be sure your model is supported in ChromeOS.

Here are HP's instructions
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2059279-1992970-16

Under the last step #6, the link is the same link that was posted in post #3.

If you can't set it up wirelessly, try to connect it by USB and see if you can print something.

I don't own a chromebook but I do own android tablets and a phone. It took me more than 2 years to figure out how to set up a printer wirelessly in android! I read so many instructions and tried wired and wireless and nothing ever worked.
I never entered an IP address; I just had to make sure the HP Print Service plugin was up to date and disabled the SamsungPrint Service.

ekim68

Mike
Got me curious so I tried a couple of things on my Chromebook. Go to the settings and delete all current printers and then add. (On my machine the auto detect for printer select showed the printer, but did not have the IP address.) So in manual select I chose a name for the printer and the next step was the IP address and I entered it and it worked. (Your printer should show its correct IP address.)

Dr.Lena

You guys!! The IP address worked this time!! I have no idea why it wasn't working before.

Maybe my wifi was slow?
Thank you all for your support and feedback!!

-Dr. Lena

If you are using Wi-Fi don't worry about adding your printer to your computer until it has been successfully added to your router first.

Next time use Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) to connect your printer to your router. All configuration is done automatically. You don't have to know or care what the IP address is.

On router
1. press WPS button until light starts flashing

On printer
1. Touch Wireless.
2. Touch Settings.
3. Touch Wireless Settings.
4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard or Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
5. Follow the instructions that follow.

plodr

Liz
I just got a chromebook yesterday. My router is so old, Linksys WRT54G, it doesn't have one of those WPS buttons.
I was able to set up the printer and got it printing in 5 minutes using this guide
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-connect-a-chromebook-to-a-network-printer/

My only concern is what if the IP changes. (I had this very problem with my old printer connected to the router by an ancient print server.) I need to see how I can give it a static IP. It is not connected to any computer because we use it wirelessly on our home network. It also doesn't have a screen with directions.
So today, one of my chores will be to figure out how to give this printer a static IP.

Well this didn't take long! I found directions here
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/Deskjet-2
went through setting a manual IP and I think I am now in business.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online