Issues displaying embroidery icons on external hard drive

sewkbyme

This is such a specialized problem, and have tried many things but none have worked. I have embroidery software that allows me to see icons of designs, rather than names of files. When I go to scroll down the computer slows down to a stop and that cycling blue circle comes and goes on for a long time. Sometimes the computer goes black and then I have to go find the external hard drive again and start over. Sometimes it just sits and swirls. Either way I cannot get to the last of the files in any category. I thought it might be my anti-virus software, so tried without, same. I updated my embroidery software and iconizer to see if that was the issue, nope, same. I am at a loss.

Oddba11

Jim
Can you access and browse through the files without using the software?

This sounds like the external hard drive is failing and not a software or Windows issue.

sewkbyme

I can see that there are files there yes, but I doubt all three of my externals are experiencing the same problem. I have one older one that is very old, one that is about 5 years old and one that is less than a year old. The trouble with seeing just the "names" instead of the "photo icons" is that I don't know what they are to choose for embroidery. I have written to the owner of my software company to see if they have help for me. I have tried new computer, new externals, getting rid of my anti-virus temporarily, redownloading my software and updating my software so far.

Oddba11

Jim
I don't mean for you to have to work that way. I'm trying to make sure that you can browse through ALL of the folders and files on the drive(s) without using the software. If you can, then it's likely the software. If you can not, then it's likely a computer/drive issue.

It could also be a software glitch. Like they expect you to have up to x number of folders with up to 100 files in each folder, but you actually have xx folders with 1000 files in each folder and the software can't read/index/open all of the files. But that would be a question for the software maker, AFTER you try to determine what is actually at fault.

sewkbyme

I tried what you suggested with another computer that did not have my embroidery software on it. I can scroll through the longest of files of designs without issue. No hangups.

Oddba11

Jim
So that would indicate that it's not a drive issue.

You should be able to perform the same test on the original computer. Browse through the folders and files without using the embroidery software (just through My Computer or File Explorer). That will confirm it's also not a hardware issue on the original computer. If that works, then I'd suspect the embroidery software.

EDIT: I should also add that you mentioned that you have more than one HDD being used. Each drive needs to be tested. And assuming these are all USB drives, I will point out that ANY faulty USB device connected to a computer can cause other USB devices or the computer itself to not function properly.

Last edited:

sewkbyme

I finally got answers and some things to try from the embroidery software company. I think it is resolved. I had to add the software to an exception for Windows Defender. I asked on the software group for this software and nobody else seems to have had to do that, but it does seem to have resolved the problem.
I thank you for your help. This has been over the top frustrating, not knowing whether it was my externals, or computer or software.

Oddba11

Jim
Im glad that you found a solution.

Also, if you haven't already, create a backup of your files. HDD's can fail at any time.

sewkbyme

Thank you. Yes I know, as I had it happen last year. I have 3 externals and the cloud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online