1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

issues installing evga gtx 260

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ru8yr3d, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ru8yr3d

ru8yr3d Thread Starter

I am having problems connecting my new graphics card. I connect to the correct power cables and then i"m not able to find my cd drive. Help please.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the brand and model of the power supply. Are you sure you didn't accidentally disconnect either the power or the IDE cable at either end from any of the CD drives?

3. ru8yr3d

ru8yr3d Thread Starter

antec is the brand. I tried disconnecting and then the cd is found. I think I need some kind of cords that go directly from the power supply to the graphics card instead of piggy backing. Not sure what kind I would need.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, but what is the model of the Antec? Maybe the current PSU isn't powerful enough for the GTX 260.

5. ru8yr3d

ru8yr3d Thread Starter

Antec NeoPower 550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your power supply should already have the required connectors for the video card, you shouldn't have to use any adapters provided with the video card.

7. ru8yr3d

ru8yr3d Thread Starter

Ok...so this card came with two cords to connect to the power supply..both a six prong to two four pin cords if that makes sense, sorry its not the technical terms..but when I piggy back them, I have a problem with no power to the cd drive. Is there a cord that I could six prong directly to my power supply to connect to the four pin connector and then to the graphic card. Thanks for all of your help..I have connected many graphics cards, but none like this one before.

8. ru8yr3d

ru8yr3d Thread Starter

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be a faulty card. So using the cables that come with the card the CD Drive doesn't open but everything else works except the CD drive or nothing works? I'm just not clear if you get video through the new card when the CD drive wasn't opening.

By the way, what motherboard do you have?

10. ru8yr3d

ru8yr3d Thread Starter

Finally got the pci-e cords to work, but still no cd drive. I am going to have to make sure tomorrow that everything is plugged in well. my son (who the card was for) says that crysis is working at maximum now where it wasn't before...i think he went to the website to get the drivers since I couldn't get the cd drive to work. the motherboard is an asus a8n5x. Its a few years old.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice