1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues installing Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArchonT, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArchonT

ArchonT Thread Starter

So I just built my new computer. All is well until I try to install Windows. When I get the blue screen which installs all of the necessary drivers and whatnot to start the Windows installation it just hangs at the "Setup is starting Windows" message on the bottom of the screen. This is just before where you choose where to install Windows, create partitions and all of that fun stuff.

Any help getting Windows to install would be great, so far I'm stumped.

2. Sponsor

3. photolady

photolady

What type of harddrive? IDE or SATA?

4. ArchonT

ArchonT Thread Starter

If you link the little computer icon next to my name you'll see my specs it's a Seagate Barracuda 80 gb SATA drive.

5. photolady

photolady

Yeah, I'm still not used to that option, the little computer that is. Okay did you install the drivers for the SATA?

6. replay

replay

did u install the sata drivers at the begining of the windows install

7. sph_12

sph_12

From all of these posts, it seems to be a HDD issue. I'm a newbie when it comes to dual HDD's and RAID, but you might want to make sure that both drives are configured correctly in BIOS. I'm guessing that one HDD will need to be set as master and the other as slave. Besides setting this in the BIOS, there will also be jumpers on the drives that will need to be set as well.

Hopefully this helped. If there's someone else that has more expertise in this area, please help!

8. ArchonT

ArchonT Thread Starter

I did not because Seagate says on their site you don't need to. BIOS recognizes both HD's and sees them.

9. photolady

photolady

SATA drives are always master so setting two harddrives to different settings isn't the problem here. What does your motherboard say about SATA drivers?

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Is this in response to the -

If this is the respons then Seagate is NOT the one to be telling you to not install drivers. The motherboard MFGR should have supplied a disk that has SATA controller drivers this has to be loaded at the press F6 right when you get to the blue screens.

If not you will have a bunch of problems. If the bios sees them I am not thinking its a Bios/physical drive problem.

11. ArchonT

ArchonT Thread Starter

it was in reply to that and yeah bios sees both drives so i dont think it is a sata driver issue. no sata driver cd came with the mobo and i havent read anything about needing to install drivers with this particular mobo

12. SacsTC

SacsTC

Sata drivers: Version V1.0.0.3 2006/02/14update
    OS Win2K / WinXP / Win2003 / WinXP 64bit / Win2003 64bit
    Description Marvell SATA/ATA 6141 Driver V1.0.0.3 for Windows 2000/XP/2003 & 64Bit XP/2003: File Size 3.16 (MBytes)

Located in ASUS drivers for your mobo.

13. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Ew I don't like that computer specs computer at all!

That field that pops up is not selectable in order to copy and paste to do searches....

But as said yes you have to have the drivers download them from the website, extract them to a floppy disk, load the XP cd, at the f6 prompt hit f6 and then load the floppy and load the drivers, continue with the normal XP install.

You should find you have better results once you have the driver.

14. ArchonT

ArchonT Thread Starter

downloaded the sata drivers used the makedisk function that comes with them, used the disk and it would search the disk for roughly 5 seconds, and then, would go back to the beginning screen where it asks for me to insert the disk.

15. ArchonT

ArchonT Thread Starter

I tried using another cd a friend gave me and it worked like a charm, windows is installing as we speak. It's surprising the one I was using didnt work since i've only used it once before, and it's been in protective casing since.

16. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Great glad to hear its working.. Sad to hear baout your media... you may want to get a replacment (don't toss your old one you can get the replacement at a low cost that way).

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472127