1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues reformating vista with external drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mandatwo, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandatwo

Mandatwo Thread Starter

I'm not entirely sure this is the place for this, but here's hoping!

I'm trying to clean out my Dell XPS 1330 laptop and start anew, however the internal DVD drive has not been working in a long time. I recently obtained an external drive having been told I can boot from the disc in this manner but I can't seem to get it to do so. So far I have uninstalled my internal drive and changed the letter of my external drive just in case. I have changed boot sequence to USB>DVD>HDrive. The external drive is getting power, and is on when the laptop starts. I have tested to make sure the recovery disc is still working by inserting it into another computer and it is completely fine. I have also confirmed that the BIOS has the latest update and that the external drive is in perfect working condition.

On some occasions when trying to boot from the drive it won't even pretend it's giving it the old college try and immedietly loads up windows normally. Other times I will get a message saying that windows failed to start, and get the list of options on how I would like to go ahead with booting. If I press F12 and try to boot with the DVD option (there is no USB option here), then I get the windows failed to start screen again.

I am completely at a loss what to do from here and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PS - I do not have a flash drive, so I will not be able to reformat in this manner instead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice