1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues setting up new network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Orbitag, Jun 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Orbitag

Orbitag Thread Starter

My fiance and I have moved into a new apartment complex where cable and internet are provided. Because we didn't actually "move in" on the first day of our lease the modem/cable box were left in our apartment for us. Now 2 weeks later I am attempting to set them up and it's not functioning properly. I've got the coaxial cable running into the modem (which I was told also contains the router) and the power is on. Everything is lit up and working, but there is no wireless network. We have connected with an ethernet and the internet is working that way, but the wireless is non existent. We have gone into the router set up by putting the ip into the address bar and changed the passwords and name of the network as well thinking that might help, but no luck so far.

Tldr: Modem part of modem/router seems to be working, but no device can see any network from the router.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Maybe there is a setting for Enabling the WiFi. What is the brand and model number of the modem (look for a sticker on the bottom) . I will try to lookup the manual for you.

3. Orbitag

Orbitag Thread Starter

I managed to find this one.

Attached Files:

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Please post the link to that doc.

5. Orbitag

Orbitag Thread Starter

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

On the Wireless > Basic Settings screen, there is an Wireless ON/OFF switch. Check that it is ENABLED. Wireless mode should be 11B/G/N Mixed. Chanel should be AUTO. Hidden should be disabled.

On the Wireless IP settings screen, set Enable WiFi DHCP to ENABLE.

Did you do any configuration on the Filter Setting screen? If so, remove any MAC & ip addresses specified and try again.

7. Orbitag

Orbitag Thread Starter

All of those are set that way.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Which version of Windows are you using? Go type 'winver' at the Start menu and tell us the Windows X, version X

9. Orbitag

Orbitag Thread Starter

Windows 10 version 1809

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > find your network adapter and right click choose Update.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would also suggest resetting to defaults, to make sure there is nothing that could be blocking it. Looks like you need a paper clip to hold the reset button in for at least 10 seconds or longer (usually when all lights go out). You can also reset it via the website by going to WAN/LAN > Backup > Factory Reset.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice