1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues To Be Aware Of With The Upcoming Version 1903 Update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by flavallee, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    Before you attempt to upgrade from your current version of Windows 10 to version 1903, make sure all external storage drives(USB, SD, etc.) are disconnected.
    Also make sure your computer's internal storage drive(SATA, SSD, eMMC, etc.) has more than 32 GB of free space.

Microsoft is concerned about the upgrade process being misdirected to the wrong drive letter if external storage drives are left connected.
    The upgrade process also requires a certain amount of free space.

There are new Windows 10 laptops out there that come with a very small capacity storage drive, so I'm not sure how their owners are going to address the free space issue.

Version 1903 (also known as "May 2019 Update") is scheduled to be released very soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. Lanctus

Lanctus

Thank you as always for the warning on the MS roll outs, flavalee. Everyone loves to play the game, "What will MS break this time?".

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    This is what the warning supposedly will look like if a computer doesn't meet the requested requirements:

Capture.JPG

Are computer owners suppose to guess what the issue is? :confused:

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. C141

C141

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Regarding the Free Space issue on tablets and laptops with 32GB of storage mentioned by Frank (flavallee) the article at C141's link says you can connect an 8GB or larger Usb stick and Windows will use it as extra storage space during the update.

An alternative, if you don't mind reinstalling programs and data, is to use the newest media creation tool, which should be updated to version 1903, and use it to make a DVD or Usb stick for a clean install.

6. storage_man

storage_man

Microsoft is stating that they will no longer support any system with less than a total of 32gb for the their O/S. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...requirements-overview#331-storage-device-size

People with 32gb systems today (Me included), need to make sure that the drive is lean and mean ie: CLEAN. No temp files laying around, no residual previous upgrades laying around etc. All you have to use is the built in windows "Free up Space now" under "Settings->Storage". My 32gb tablet has over 16gb of free storage right now under "W10 1809 17763.437".

You don't need an extra 32gb available, but one does need to have enough free space for the install of 1904 or what ever it will be. Also its my understanding that MS will ask to use additional storage ie: SD cards + USB memory sticks (if available) to complete the install. But don't quote me !

7. C141

C141

HowToGeek said it quite nicely "While this seems like a big change, it really isn’t. You should have avoided devices with this paltry amount of storage because they wouldn’t have functioned well with Windows 10. Now, Microsoft is making it official. Microsoft’s PC partners can’t try to sell laptops and tablets with less than 32 GB of built-in storage anymore. That’s good news for shoppers."

Read article here: https://www.howtogeek.com/412435/windows-10-now-requires-12-16-gb-more-storage/

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's all very well but the makers sold those 32GB devices with Windows 10 installed so it's unfair to blame the people who bought them rather than the makers and Micro$oft who should have known there would be problems updating but said nothing about it.

10. storage_man

storage_man

First off, MS has also sold a bunch of "Surface Pro" tablets that are limited to 32gb ?

But in reality, you really only need about 7gb free of that 32gb, because that is what it take to have Window perform a in place Feature upgrade. There are probably a lot of W10 installations that do not have that amount free, but they will get fine error msg stating it.

On my W10 tablet (w/32gb storage), I have 15.5gb free. But on my desktop (where I'm responding right now), the OS is 59gb. Both machines are 1809 17763.437. So it depends on how well you maintain the storage that you have. Also I believe MS is working on using aux storage (SD cards, USB Sticks) for the temp storage that they need to perform an Upgrade in place. However, I don't know if it will be in this 19H1 feature upgrade.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    My point is if the big updates don't work an average user doesn't know what to do.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice