1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues using my router/modem to share connection coming from Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Urbanium, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Urbanium

Urbanium Thread Starter

Ok here's the situation:
    I just moved into a student apartment. The internet is already activated and it is available through the RJ45 jack straight off the wall. Using an Ethernet cable I am able to use Internet without any issues with my PC.

What I want to do:
    - Use my Buffalo ADSL router/modem to share the connection: both wired and wireless.
    - Use my router as local DHCP to create a private network with my home devices.
    - Be able to access both the internet and the router without having to unplug anything.

The setup:
    - There is no way to use a DSL (phone) cablein the house so I have to plug the Ethernet cable carrying the connection in one of the LAN port of the router.
    - My PC use another free LAN port.

The issues so far:
    - I am only able to share the connection through the LAN ports of the router.
    - Wireless devices are able to connect (it even read "Internet access" in the tray bar) but are unable to browse. It can't resolve proxy and always time out.
    -When the Ethernet cable is plugged into the router, the router itself becomes unavailable. I'm assuming the connection has its own gateway somewhere else and prevents me from accessing the router.
    - I effectively don't have any private network anymore.

edit: another weird thing I noticed. On my laptop anytime I try to connect to a wireless network it connects to 2 networks at the same time. One with the proper SSID and the other "Unidentified network"

n.b: I have reset the router almost a hundred times already and tried to plug things in all possible orders.

Thanks for anyone able to help me.

2. DariusSupport

DariusSupport

I'm do not know your router, but in order to do what you want try puting the router into bridge mode and shut off the dhcp server on the router, it should be a dhcp client instead.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    with a PC connected to this port only - post an ipconfig /all

whats the exact model of the Buffalo - see below on how to connect two router - need to see the ipconfig /all as requested above

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

For Windows 8
    to open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

This should work for all windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

then type CMD

then press Enter to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
    From a John Will Post :)

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless there is some special setting you cannot use a modem/router as a broadband router only. You can use it as a router without internet access to structure a LAN or you can use it as an ethernet switch and wireless access point (see Wayne's post).

5. Urbanium

Urbanium Thread Starter

The router is a Buffalo WBMR-HP-GN

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Traepas-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dhcp.inet.fi

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Anchorfree HSS Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-D1-41-8F-5A
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dhcp.inet.fi
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethern
    et Controller(NDIS6.20)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-CF-30-1B-02-2F
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3841:4d58:ec3d:cf58%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 80.221.38.97(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11 March 2013 20:04:41
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12 March 2013 08:05:43
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 80.221.32.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 80.221.32.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 237031216
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-DA-EA-5A-20-CF-30-1B-02-2F

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.89.123.231
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.dhcp.inet.fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:1494:2e05:af22:d99e(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1494:2e05:af22:d99e%12(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:50dd:2661::50dd:2661(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.89.123.231
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Concerning the article about connecting 2 router, I'm not sure I'm able to do that since I don't have actually access to the second router so using a crossover cable might be impossible. Unless a crossover from the wall RJ45 port would work?

6. Urbanium

Urbanium Thread Starter

I tried, as a previous commentor was proposing, to change the DHCP settings of the router. All I could find was either DHCP relay (which I don't know how to use) and Disable local DHCP which I chose. That actually worked quite well and allowed all my wireless equipment to suddently have connectivity. Unsurprisingly however I can't access my router anymore. Actually, now even after restarting the router I don't seem to have access to it at all (192.168.11.1 just times out). Is this the best it will get?

What I'm thinking is to reset the router completely, first thing I will set a proper Wifi name and security then I will disable DHCP and connect the Ethernet cable carrying the connection into it. I will then lose access to it but hopefully everything will be setup. Any security risk for my local devices doing that? I understand the meaning of your post and that I won't be able to actually achieve what I was aiming for but I'm hoping to get the best out of it which is to use it as a switch and AP. (with my devices still being protected as if they were on a private network)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a public IP address there, so the only advantage to using your modem/router would be to connect one computer by Wi-Fi instead of by ethernet. Unless you get multiple public IP addresses (extremely unlikely) with your service.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I did not see your post # 6 before my post #7.

Any computer you connect that gets internet access is connecting as if directly to a modem. You have no local area network; no router "natural firewall." To access the router's configuration pages you will need to temporarily assign a static IP (e.g., 192.168.11.99) and Mask (255.255.255.0) to the computer's connection.

Get a broadband router. :) It can be a cheap used wired only one, and then connect your modem/router via Wayne's post to get your wireless connectivity.

9. Urbanium

Urbanium Thread Starter

I'm connected with different devices (laptops, phones, wired PC) at the moment and they all have different public IPs. I'm a bit surprised that they provide me with several public IPs but maybe this won't last and I will have to find a proper solution like the one you just proposed.

I will go get myself a broadband router. Basically, if I understand correctly, a broadband router would act as a switch by simply connecting all my Ethernet cables, including the one carrying the Internet connection, at the back and would also be configurable as local DHCP to create a private network?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the answer to your question is 'yes,' but I do not like the way you described it. :D The router will connect to two networks--the WAN (public internet) and the private LAN (the devices you connect by ethernet or wireless)--and route traffic between the networks. The LAN part will include an ethernet switch, wireless access point and Dhcp server.

11. Urbanium

Urbanium Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the help. I will update here once I purchase a broadband router (which will probably be tomorrow since I'm a really impatient person).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice