Issues with dial-up on XP Pro system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

toddz

I have a Toshiba Equium 7100S with Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 1). I am having trouble getting my dial-up ISP software to connect. I have contacted my ISP provider's help desk with zero resolution. I have tried 3 different 56k modems (two internal and one USB) all resulting in the same problem. The system attempts to connect and initiates the "handshake" but ends up disconnecting. An error number is given, but no description is provided. Not very helpful. I have tried all of the available access numbers for my area. The user name and password are correct as they are in use on another computer (that I'm hoping to replace with the one I'm working on). I am able to use the modem to dial my cell phone through HyperTerminal, so I know the modem is working properly. I have attempted a couple other ISP software packages besides the one I have an account with and they all have the same result - attempt to connect for a short period and then close. There aren't any device conflicts as far as I can tell. I have disabled the XP Firewall and there isn't any anti-virus installed (that will be changed just as soon as I can complete the setup of the dial-up account). I think that pretty much covers all that I've done. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

What is the error number?

And what is the history of this system? Did it ever connect and just suddenly stopped? Have you always been the owner?

Have you tried setting up the dialup account manually -- without installing any ISP software? Just create a new connection, enter your User Name, your password and the number you want to connect to?

I read a similar thread earlier, what was suggested there was to uninstall the modem
(all modems) via the "device manager", then re-boot.
After that re-install the modem with it's drivers (if neccessary).

toddz

Thanks Rollin' Rog and dobbelina.

I forgot to mention that I had set up a manual connection and received the same errors. I was also provided the DNS IP address information by the ISP provider's tech support.

This machine was given to me, so I don't know a lot of history about it as far as if it ever was able to make a dial-up connection. I think I've inherited someone else's headache.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that has not solved the problem either. I thought that perhaps there was a setting somewhere that I was missing that was not allowing the modem enough time to establish the connection.

I am going to throw in the towel and let someone else have the "pleasure" of dealing with the machine. Thank you for your replies.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online