1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with finding drivers after installing a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjketo44, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjketo44

cjketo44 Thread Starter

I'll start by stating that I'm not the most technically inclined individual.
    I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the fried drive in a Gateway GM5076E
    I'd like to note that I bought this computer open box (at a ridiculous discount) with no Restore Disc, which is where my problems now stem from.
    The drive I installed was one I conveniently found in a non-working computer at work. It had Win2k on it. I removed 2k and installed XP on it.
    XP installed fine, but I'm now having issues with drivers, which I can't seem to find.
    No sound, no internet, etc.
    The only driver that I've been able to both find and install correctly is for the motherboard.
    I've searched Gateway's maze of driver downloads only to find a select few drivers for it at all, and only the previously named one which would actually install.

If someone here could possibly find me a link to a complete driver package, I would very much appreciate it.

2. cjketo44

cjketo44 Thread Starter

Oh, and I bought it open box years ago and only now have had any problems.

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. cjketo44

cjketo44 Thread Starter

That's where I found the Motherboard download.
    Unfortunately, as I said, that was the only thing on that page that actually worked.

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. cjketo44

cjketo44 Thread Starter

s/no: ccz6391003202

I'll load that program onto a thumb and run it and see what I come up with.

7. Hughv

Hughv

I see a video driver, a modem driver and a motherboard driver.
    Look in device manger and see what's missing.

8. cjketo44

cjketo44 Thread Starter

Interestingly enough, the program opened with the following:
    So I clicked Yes. Attached is the Report.

As for the Device Manager, Location Unknown is listed for just about everything.... as I said, I haven't been able to find drivers that will install.

I found this during my earlier search:
    http://www.restore-disk.com/restore...P-Driver-CD-Recovery-Restore-Disk-244460.html
    which states the following:

I'd love to be able to do this, but if I could afford to spend any money on this I would have just bought a new drive to begin with, instead of snaking an unused one from work.
    It was a parting gift too myself when I was laid of a couple of days ago. =(

Attached Files:

9. Hughv

Hughv

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice