1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with font size...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Robbieboy, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently my Benq 22" LCD went in for repair under warranty (broken back light was the problem, I am told). My dear old Mum lent me a spare monitor she had lying around so that I would not suffer terribly from internet withdrawal. When I got my monitor back, I noticed one or two issues in relation to font size:

The first was that on certain websites (the news one I have internet explorer defaulted to, as well as ' Yahoo' mail), certain text is 'overlaid' or 'superimposed' on other text. In other words on some parts of these sites one hyperlink sits 'on top of ' another, as if I have the font size set too big and so therefore there is not enough room on the page for all the hyperlinks to be displayed as they should be (in the ' page' menu, I have text size set to 'smaller' i.e the second smallest of the five available options). I also have 'zoom' set to 100%, if that is relevant). The second thing bugging me is that when I go to retrieve my email from ' Yahoo', the subject headings are way too big.

I tried googling a few fixes, and tried variously:

- setting the font size to 96 DPI

- going to Tools menu>internet options>accessibility, and checking/unchecking combinations of the three ' formatting'
    options. Presently I have the first two options (' ignore colors specified on webpages', and ' ignore font styles specified on
    webpages') unchecked, and the third option ( 'ignore font sizes specified on webpages') checked.

- Also, (and I don't know if this is relevant) in ' Tools'>internet options>fonts I have ' language script' set to 'Latin based',
    ' webpage font' set to Times New Roman, and ' Plaintext font' set to Courier New.

As mentioned, I have tries different combinations of the afore-mentioned 'fixes'. I don't pretend to understand the science of these fixes, and so maybe I have overlooked something very obvious. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

It may be that switching between monitors has changed the display
    resolution on your monitor.
    Might want to check display properties in the control panel and make
    sure the resolution is set to the native resolution of the monitor.

3. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, leroys1000.

I followed your suggestion and ensured that resolution is set to native resolution of my monitor (1680 x 1050).
    I also ' identified ' this monitor as being ' BenQFP222W (Digital) on NVIDIA GeFoce 8500 GT ' in the drop down menu in
    ' Monitor display settings', as opposed to the second available choice, ' (Default Monitor) on NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT '. Unfortunately nothing seems to have changed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice