1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with graphics card

Discussion in 'Games' started by sexen, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sexen

sexen Thread Starter

Ok My computer will Randomly shut off completely an not restart when i run any games with a high graphic tolerance for example when i try to play counter strike source some times it will crash. In 1.6 with smokes and some times when i play warcraft 3 its random. And its not a over heating problem. I also dusted out my case an re seeded all my peripherals e.x. video card ram mobo an drives i updated my vid card drivers. My computer ran fine for about 8 months i started leaving my computer on over night for long periods of time for as long as a month or two with only restarting it once or twice if that helps. also when my computer does shut off ill go to turn it back on an it will turn on for a second an shut off then i press the button again same thing after 2/3 tries it will boot an crash its almost like i have to prime it like a lawnmower to get it going then some times when i get to windows login screen and will shut off again an then i restart one more time it will bring me to boot in safe mode last know good config etc.... it doesn't seem to matter which one i choose it will work after one or two times then after so long if it does work it will run check disk and not repair any files some times it might an restart it might crash again it might not seems to be random. Right now im thinking about buying a new video card just want some feedback on what you guys might think first.

Thanks in advance sexen-

2. fbodyracer02

fbodyracer02

Turn down the graphics. Your most likely cannot handle the graphics at the settings that you have them on. I hear a lot of guys who get really bad lag spikes or crash to desktops, when playing BF2Pro maps that have a lot of smoke or fog.

What card are you running, and at what settings?

3. sexen

sexen Thread Starter

nvidia 6600 and my settings are already set to high performance and all the graphics are turned down. ive never had a problem with it before. my settings were maxed out for a long time an he ran fine. its something new maybe im thinking some kinda of short or power failure im not sure. any other suggestions?

4. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Try update the video drviers, also check to see if your temperature is overheating.

5. sexen

sexen Thread Starter

please read the whole thing before you reply. I did all that you stated. its neither.

6. McTimson

McTimson

Sounds like the power supply or motherboard to me. What's the make/model of your power supply, and how old is it? And, what are you other system specs?

7. sexen

sexen Thread Starter

Nvidia nforce 4 ultra/standard chipset Based K8N Neo4 is what my mobo handbook says and my power supply um is like 2/3 years old 450 watt xion

8. McTimson

McTimson

I've never heard of Xion, but after searching for a bit, I'm convinced that it's a relatively poor quality power supply. Many power supply companies advertise a higher wattage rating than they can really supply. Basically, the PSU is capable of 450W for about half a second, then it blows. In reality, it can only sustain maybe 300W for an extended period of time. This is extremely common on cheaper power supplies.

I suggest buying a new power supply, a name brand like Antec, Thermaltake, or basically anything that's not cheap. You get what you pay for with power supplies, so spend the money and get a good one, it's well worth it. 450-500W from a name brand will be fine for your system.

9. sexen

sexen Thread Starter

well why would my computer crash as soon as i open world of warcraft or when i open cs source lack of power?

10. McTimson

McTimson

Each component of your computer requires power. When a component has to do more work than normal, it requires more power than it does while it's sitting idle. When it's idle, the CPU, RAM, and video card are barely working, and thus, not using much power. When you load up a game, the CPU is working 100%, all the RAM is being utilized, the hard drive is being accessed, the CD drive might be spinning up, and of course, the video card is sucking up tons of power trying to render images. All of this stuff takes a toll on cheaper power supplies, and while they'll do fine for a while, eventually, they're just not up to the task anymore.

11. tom6049

tom6049

Sounds like a video card or power supply problem to me.

I'll assume that you have ensured that the fan on the video card is still spinning.

12. sexen

sexen Thread Starter

yeah it wasnt before cause of dust... but now its spinning just fine.... an aswell i think its a video card problem or a power supply i wish i had onboard video so i can be sure... thanks guys.

13. HollywdsTech

HollywdsTech Banned

sexen i work with nvidia go to my site and i will try to help out my site is below thanks

the first one

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice