1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with home Cisco Lab

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mseto2, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mseto2

mseto2 Thread Starter

Hey everyone...

At home my landlord have FiOS, and they use it with a D-Link Modem......to not interfere with their stuff, I have wired my Cisco router into that D-Link Router via Cross Over..

The D-Link Router IP is 192.168.0.1, I have set fa0/0 on the Cisco Router as 192.168.0.107, and the default gateway as 192.168.0.1 (D-Link Router)

I can ping the D-Link Router, but I can't ping outside (from the Cisco Router), such as Google IP address (NOT host name)

Any idea why I can't ping outside but can ping the D-Link router with has NAT to the outside?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you used the default-gateway command, I've never had much luck with it. I typically hard set a static route for the default gateway like this:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

You need to turn off DHCP addressing on your router.

You need a switch on your end, not another router.

4. zx10guy

This has nothing to do with what he's trying to do. The OP is trying to run a Cisco practice lab. He wants to use the internet service from his landlord with his Cisco lab setup. His landlord has agreed to allow him to do so provided he doesn't do anything else to change the current setup the landlord has.

Adding a switch or turning off DHCP on his Cisco router has nothing to do with solving his problem. The only thing that might need to be done would be to ensure the .107 address assigned to the Fast Ethernet interface of his Cisco router is outside the DHCP scope being used on the DLink router if the DLink router is running a DHCP server.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Wow, you sure seem to know more about this case than was offered up by the OP...

...and, yeah...switch off DHCP on the Cisco for starters...

6. zx10guy

Ummm...yes I do. More than you.

By the pure mention of the fact he referred to the interface connected to the DLink router as a fa0/0 means that this is a real Cisco router and not the Cisco/Linksys router which you probably have spent your networking experience playing with. By default, Cisco routers have to have their interfaces configured. The pure mention that he had set the interface to 192.168.0.107 and the default gateway as 192.168.0.1 means these are statically set.

So stop cluttering this thread with input that does nothing to help the OP except boost your post count.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice