1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with HP Chromebook 14 keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scuttle, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scuttle

Scuttle Thread Starter

Wasn't sure where this would fit in so sorry if this is the wrong spot....

After Consulting with someone from Geek Squad and them telling me it might be worth a look, I decided to come here for advice. I have also come up short after tons of Googling.

So as the title states, I have a HP Chromebook 14. I'm currently using the talk to type option as I've recently come across some issues that happened out of nowhere. I want to say that I've never spilled anything on this keyboard so we will rule that out. I am done a hard reset, power wash, I've checked my keyboard settings, am I still can't seem to figure out what is happening. I even took the damn thing apart to see if there is dust or something lodged in there.

A lot of my keys still work. I have a couple that don't work at all. And I have a couple that when I press them, something else happens. For example:

when I press the letter c: zcvx,m?>
    when I press the letter e: qerwiuPO
    when I press d: a page opens up to save a file.

And a couple other freaky things.... Just wondering if there's anything else that I can do or if it's even worth trying to have somebody look at it. I've had this thing for about 3 years in the warranty ran out last year. It just sucks cuz everything else works perfectly fine. I just rather not have to use the on-screen keyboard or the talk to type since I have to over annunciate being, that no technology can truly understand my Philadelphia accent. ;)

thank you for your time!

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If you can find a cheap keyboard and you want to try to replace it, then do that. If not, then buy a new Chromebook.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would try this fix posted on the HP forums: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-keys-not/m-p/5311747/highlight/false#M199415

Seems the cable may get pinced in some models causing some keys to not work or not work correctly.

If the cable is too damaged or if it has failed for other reasons then you may need to replace the keyboard which should be fairly cheap. Get the model/part number of the keyboard off the sticker on the back of it while you have it off.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice