1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with making internet connections on my laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JKorew, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JKorew

JKorew Thread Starter

Hello, I am not entirely sure about the origin of my issues, so I chose this forum as it seems likely to be relevant subject.

About a week ago I began having strange issues on my laptop. For example, if I were to visit twitch.tv, I would receive this screen https://imgur.com/a/0oCR6ph Then, after refreshing, it would load partially, including a video player that functions fine, providing the stream with no lag, but most the other elements would not load, and it looked mostly like a blank "HTML page." After some more refreshes, it would be almost completely loaded, except for a few exceptions in the site function which would load with the error message "failed to load module."

After a few days I got around to doing malware scans, clean-up programs, and ultimately reformatting the computer. I followed this website's completely clean windows reset guide, cleaning all partitions of the harddrive. Windows decided to force me to make an account, and when it was time to send my cellphone a code to confirm my account, it gave me a message like "invalid request," and forced me to go back and step and repeat it 4-5 times, until it finally sent me a code. I experience issues just like this in online gaming, too. I will queue into the matchmaking for a game, only to fail to connect 2-10 times in a row (fortunately, Legends of Runeterra has a very quick queue,) before connecting to flawless gaming experience for the duration of the match.

Likewise, my google inbox will not refresh properly, and I had to freshly load up the tab for my inbox a few times before I could confirm my account here.

Thank you very much for reading, and if you have any advice for how to research a solution, or direct forum support, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to have an idea of what I'm dealing with before I pay a technician for help.

P.S. here is a "speccy" if this helps. Hopefully it doesn't contain info I should keep private, I don't see anything concerning to me http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3ebggd42aKiZhTJgUfl1YF5

The make and model is an Acer Aspire 3 A315-21-4808, and I have the network card drivers updated

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200125114947.000000-240
    Processor: AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 2
    Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R3 Graphics, 512 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (895 GB Free);
    Motherboard: SR Squirtle_SR, ver V1.12, s/n NBGNV1100N85005BEE7600
    System: Insyde Corp., ver ACRSYS - 1, s/n NXGNVAA00885005BEE7600
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. zebanovich

zebanovich

Hello, since you clean reloaded OS, I see no reason to blame OS.

few questions:
    when did you last time restart router/modem?
    have you change any settings in router recently?
    have you tried to reproduce the problem with another device? (ie. mobile phone, another laptop)

One possibility could also be failing NIC.

3. JKorew

JKorew Thread Starter

1) Few times over the last week, before and after the reformat.
    2) Nope, and all my other devices work perfectly.
    3) No one else nor my PC/Phone have issues.

NIC? That is the network card? Is there anyway to diagnosis it without opening up the laptop first?

Thank you for the response.

4. zebanovich

zebanovich

Yes, make abootable live linux USB and then try to reproduce the problem there.

For example you can get debian:
    https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/
    for example, on that page download:

debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-lxde.iso

then get UNetbootin:
    https://unetbootin.github.io/

Now simply attach your USB to laptop, and use unetbootin to create
    bootable linux. (contents of USB could be lost, not sure)

HINT: on unetbootin homepage you have short tutorial, basically select "iso" option,
    and locate downloaded debian iso, select your USB and start transfer.

when you boot from USB connect to network, and try to reproduce the problem.

This will help not only diagnose NIC but also windows driver.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. JKorew

JKorew Thread Starter

Alright, sounds like a fair bit of work But, as I understand it, I'll be able to keep windows installed, and simple reboot if I run into trouble? Regardless, I'll get to figuring this out and getting a debian iso working.

6. zebanovich

zebanovich

Yes, just make sure you don't install debian, but even if you try to install it, you'll know that this is happening.

just boot it up by using boot menu when bios starts, nothing else is needed.

7. JKorew

JKorew Thread Starter

One question, using some acronyms that I don't really understand; can I use advanced restart, the UEFI(?), to boot off my debian stick, or do I have to learn about BIOS?

Thank you again.

8. zebanovich

zebanovich

When computer starts first thing you should see is shortcut keys on your screen,
    such as:
    F2 enter setup
    F12 boot menu
    Del whatever etc...

I think for acer it's F12 to open up boot menu. then you can select USB key from the list.
    if you don't see these shortcut keys on boot, try repeatedly pressing as soon as PC boots:
    F12 or F10 or DELETE or F2 unless you get a boot menu.

if you end up in bios, you can get out by pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE to reboot.
    and then try some other key.

I don't think advanced restart is what you need, not sure what that is.

if none of the keys work, you need to enter bios (probably F2) and reorder boot priorities, so that USB key is first.
    it may also be needed to disable secure boot in bios in order for USB key to be shown in boot menu or to boot from USB.

9. JKorew

JKorew Thread Starter

When I booted from the USB, first a black console flashed a bunch of lines, some of them saying something about firmware.

Then, the Debian loading screen (with the swirl logo) came up, before going back to the console ending with message "firmware failed to load rtl_nic/rt184.f2 (-2)

10. zebanovich

zebanovich

interesting, because this means driver failed to load for your NIC, which is realtek not atheros which you are using for wi-fi.

You can try to either disable ethernet adapter (realtek) in device manager,
    or try to update realtek device with which ever driver works of bellow 2:
    https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/advanced-search/280?Itemid=276

CTRL + F and search for "RTL84"

note: I'm not sure but it looks like the driver needed is rt184, which is not listed on realtek, so
    I assume it's rtl84.

edit:
    it's definitely rt184:
    http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1907.2/01199.html

but, realtek doesn't list driver for this device.

for more info about driver/device I need:
    Windows key + R
    msinfo32
    File -> Save

zip the file and send here.

but I would just disable this device and see if that works.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  11. JKorew

JKorew Thread Starter

I tried disabling, and it didn't affect the connection issue. Not that this is helpful, but I uploaded this before I saw your edit https://imgur.com/a/RGiv7V9

.nfo file is attached.

Attached Files:

12. JKorew

JKorew Thread Starter

zip too

Attached Files:

13. zebanovich

zebanovich

thanks, while I take a look, you can try to disable all bluetooth devices. and see if that makes any difference.

bluetooth also can cause wi-fi issues sometimes.

14. JKorew

JKorew Thread Starter

I disabled all bluetooth devices, no change.

15. zebanovich

zebanovich

ok so first thing that is visible is your drivers which are newer than the ones from acer site for windows 10:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7208?b=1

It could be Windows installed newer drivers, so I would recommend to delete these drivers and install
    those from acer which are original even though they are somewhat older.

for this you need to
    1. disable windows from auto updating drivers.
    2. download acer drivers first
    3. then unistall LAN and WI-FI drivers from device manager and checking "delete driver for this device" (reboot if needed)
    4. install acer drivers and reboot system

Let me know if that works.

edit:
    to disable windows from updating drivers:
    press start key and type:
    sysdm.cpl hit enter
    Hardware tab
    "Device installation settings"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice