1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with my pc powering down randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Austindan, Oct 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Alright, so this has been an issue on and off going on a week but as gotten extremely worse recently. I have a computer I built from the ground up. I recently thought I was experiencing power supply issues and bought a new power supply. Worked for about a day and started again.

Here's what's going on. I would have my computer running, playing a game or whatever and it would suddenly without warning either freeze or power off. This morning it's gotten worse. I would have the computer on just booting and all of the sudden it just kicks off. Nothing I can see is overheating, and my fans are running fine with my radiator for my water cooling.

What I've done thus far is cleared any dust from the tower and cleaned the radiator. I've also tried leaving it sit with no luck when booting it again. Short of rebuilding the pc I am out of options and have no clue where to go from here.

I was in a separate forum and came to the conclusion it may be a temp problem. Hoping for further help with this.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

3. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Might be able to, I'll have to give it a shot here and that's what I've been thinking too.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

83C is way too hot in the bios. When a processor is running in the bios, there is no load on it; not surprising the system is freezing and or shutting down.
    You have an overheating problem. Common causes of overheating;
    1 Fan or fans have stopped running
    2 Thermal compound has dried out
    3 Dust clogging intake/exhaust vents
    4 Very high ambient temps
    5 HSF or cooler has come loose ie broken spring clip, etc

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ops just saw you have liquid cooling;
    You may have a pump failure and or coolant has leaked out.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, now I am really confused. I am sure there was a pic of the hardware monitor bios screen and now I cannot find it......

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, finally figured it out; you started two threads for the same problem.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In any case, 83C is way too hot. You need to fix the overheating problem and that should stop the freezes, shutdowns, etc.

9. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Sorry about the confusion there. Just bought some thermal paste. Going to let it sit and hopefully that fixes the issue. Will keep you posted here

10. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Update* so the paste was dry swapped that out jumped on and started playing a game and it shut down half way through the match

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Either the pump is failing or the system is out/low on coolant.
    If you are sure you installed the pump/water block correctly, it can only be one of the above.

12. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Yeah that's exactly my fear. I'll just have to buy a new unit come Friday and hope for the best

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use the corsair H115i; it is not cheap however it's performance is excellent. Keeps a ryzen 2700X [overclocked to 4.2gig] running in the low 30s and up to 55C when running prime95.
    Even has RGB [if you are into that type of thing]

14. Blu_86

Blu_86

Just one more thing to look at I don't know what model AIO you installed but most have a very thin plastic sheet covering the loop/install-to CPU attachment be sure you have removed that because not removing it actually produced temperatures about the same that you are reporting and thus a system usually shuts down rather quickly. I use a coolermaster ML 240 and have built with and used several AIO's both the H115i and the one I have (as do nearly all) have that thin plastic cover that needs to be peeled off.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice