1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Issues with POP mail Outlook 2016 and IMAP Windows 10 mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ozegirl, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Set up:

Computer 1, Windows 7, Outlook 2016 as part of Office 365 installation (program not cloud account), running new email address 1 on POP mail. (and 2 other POP email addresses unrelated to email address 1)

Computer 2, Windows 7, Outlook 2016 as part of Office 365 installation (program not cloud account), running new email address 2 on POP mail. (and 1 other POP email address unrelated to email address 2)

Computer 3, Windows 10, Outlook 2016 as part of Office 365 installation (program not cloud account), running new email address 3 on POP mail. ALSO, running Windows 10 mail with 2 accounts added from Hotmail and also email address 3. (Son's computer)

My son set up the email address 3 on Windows mail. He would have accepted the default setup, which I am assuming is IMAP.

We only just got the 3 email addresses activated yesterday on a paid email hosting service. At first everything was working fine but then from time to time each of our Outlook 2016 programs had send/receive errors. I checked and rechecked the settings with the email host provider. They are set up on ports 995 and 465 using SSL. At first authentication was ticked but after having problems it was unchecked. It worked and then didn't work both ways. Each time I go and make a change or just even re-setup the same settings, the setup proceeds and get the successful test message. Can send & receive emails but then after a while start getting send/receive errors again. On Computers 1 & 2 the other pre-existing POP email accounts are with a different provider and are non-SSL and are on different ports.

I'm just wondering whether it has anything to do with the fact that the Windows 10 mail account is setup as IMAP and is this causing a problem with the POP accounts on Outlook? Please don't just tell me to change everything to IMAP, I understand the advantages of it but we have our reasons for using POP, and prefer to keep it that way.

I also wonder whether the send/receive errors could have come about due to DNS propagation not being complete - but it worked fine for the first few hours, it was later in the day it started playing up so I would have thought the problem would have been sooner rather than later.

Any other thoughts on what could be the cause? At the moment it is working again, but I'm not confident with it.... and I would like to learn more about how POP/IMAP can affect each other. Another question I have on that: If I have an Outlook 2016 profile with 2 POP accounts in it, and I add the third account as IMAP will that cause issues? e.g. [email protected], [email protected] (both POP) and [email protected] (IMAP)

Many thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What do you mean by "(program not cloud account)"?
    Office 365 is linked to a cloud MS account.

Why do you have ALL the same email accounts on all machines?

Which machine removes the email from the pop server?

Who is your email provider?
    This will allows us to see what servers and port numbers that should be used with that servers.

Why were the account added using Windows mail?

3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

I mean we are using the Outlook 2016 email client, not Outlook.com - ie the computer-based program, not the webmail-style interface - people often talk about "Outlook" and I often find they are talking about Outlook.com rather than the Office program. Yes I know they are linked, but it's Outlook 2016 where I read and send emails.

I don't. I have email account 1 on machine 1, email account 2 on machine 2 and email account 3 on machine 3. Not 3 installations of the same account. e.g. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] 3 people, 3 machines, 3 accounts

This probably answers the other question - they each download their own email. They are not competing for the same account.

incoming server: secure.emailsrvr.com
    port: 995
    encrypted connection type: ssl
    outgoing server: secure.emailsrvr.com
    port: 465
    encrypted connection type: ssl

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    ozegirl,
    The info you provided is ok, but you did NOT answer my question about your email host provider.
    Who or what company are you using to host your email server or do you have one in your home/office?
    If in you home/office what hosting software are you using?

If you are using emailsrvr.com as the host, we can not see what the required setting are as we do not have an account.
    If you could log in and post a screen shot of the email settings for Outlook 2016, it would help use see what is required.

Also these "other POP email addresses unrelated to email address", what domain are they as the error may be the result of setting for those accounts?

5. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Hello Dave,

Actually the email seems to be working Ok at the moment. I think perhaps it was just “too soon” when we were using it the first day and it wasn’t fully functional. As it’s not so relevant now, I’d rather not mention the company we are using, but the server information I put down & settings were correct – they were supplied by the company and I checked with them over the phone.

I’m not sure which setting you need from Outlook 2016 – do you mean the “Account Settings” that show my email addresses or the “Internet Settings” that shows “Outgoing server settings” and “Advanced”..??

I don’t want to put anything up that shows my email address. I’m not sure this is needed now either.

I’m not trying to be difficult, I hope you understand, just a bit cautious about what information I put on public display.

The other unrelated Pop email addresses use non-SSL and use Port 110 and port 25 for incoming and outgoing email. They have been working without issue for many years. It was just the new email address that had the Send/Receive error.

So for example on my computer I have:

[email protected] on Port110/25 non-SSL (pre-existing account)

[email protected] on Port 110/25 non-SSL (pre-existing account) and

[email protected] domain.com on port 995/465 SSL (new account)

What I wanted to know is:

If I was to change the xyz email address from POP to IMAP, would that cause issues with the other 2 email addresses being POP email? I can’t see how it would as they are all separate accounts and the other two are with a different provider, but I just wondered. Not that I’m planning on changing it but just so I know in case it becomes necessary.

Also would my son having his new email address added as an account on Windows 10 Mail (which is set up as IMAP by default) affect him using the same email address in Outlook 2016 as POP mail?

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    In general I stay away from IMAP accounts when using Outlook.
    As for having an account set up as both POP and IMAP, no, as I have one setup in my Outlook 2016 and then also on my Kindle. Just make sure that you have the files removed from the server by only one device and NOT both.

7. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. I agree, I have read about problems with IMAP with Outlook which is why I want to use POP as we use Outlook 2016. When you say "As for an account set up as both..." Do you mean when I asked about having one set up as POP in Outlook 2016 and also my son having it set u in Windows Mail? And "No" means "No that shouldn't be a problem?"
    When you say only remove from server by one device - I am choosing to leave things on the server, so inbox can still be accessed if away from home. Will delete manually as necessary. Is this a bad thing? If the files are left on the server and I was to open Outlook 2016 on another computer (of the same account) I realise that the emails would download there too. However we are using one computer for one account, and just using the webmail function to check for incoming emails on the few occasions we may be out of the office.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    As long as you are doing what you are about controlling the removal from the server you will be OK.
    As stated above, the "No that shouldn't be a problem" is what I meant

9. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

OK thanks for all your help :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice