1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with reinstalling XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cirac, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cirac

cirac Thread Starter

Hi everyone - need a little help with an older computer. I recently bought a new computer, so the old one was going to a friend. I reinstalled Windows XP on the old computer and everything went well (except there was no sound on the system). I tried to fix that but had no success. After my failed attempts at adding sound, the computer stopped functioning properly. Windows XP took 15 minutes to boot up and in some case, not boot up at all. I tried to reinstall XP but during 'check disk' (there are two hard drives) the system stopped and claimed that C drive was corrupt. So I am now stuck. Any advice to what I can do to get the system running again will be deeply appreciated!

Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried to format the harddrive with the windows XP CD
    what do you do - delete the partitions and recreate and reformat - or how install

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    cirac:

Before you format a hard drive and do a clean reinstall of XP in a computer, you should know the identity of its devices and have the current XP drivers burned off to a CD-R or copied to a USB thumb drive or both.

You can then use that external media to install any drivers that didn't get installed during the install of XP.

------------------------------------------------------

Does it have 2 actual hard drives or does it have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions?

-----------------------------------------------------

4. cirac

cirac Thread Starter

Thanks guys

There are 2 hard drives - C drive is the one that is corrupted. During 'disk scan' when reinstalling XP the system usually stops when it cannot read C drive. If you can tell me how to delete the partitions (is it in CMOS or BIOS?) I'll be able to continue the reinstallation.

Unfortunately I didn't save the drivers - but I'll try my best to find them online. Fingers crossed!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You delete the partitions either with a third-party tool, or the easiest way, which is to boot the machine from the Windows DVD and then use the advanced options when setting up the drive to delete all the partitions. You can do it from the Recovery Console, too: format C: /fs:ntfs

But, it sounds like drive failure to me. You may have to remove that drive and put the other one in its place.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

If perchance it's a Dell brand, advise what the 7-character service tag number is.

If perchance it's a HP/Compaq brand, advise what the product number is.

---------------------------------------------------------

Go into the Device Manager.

What's listed in these headings?

Display Adapters

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Network Adapters

Other Devices
    (if this heading exists)

Sound Video And Game Controllers

--------------------------------------------------------

7. cirac

cirac Thread Starter

Thanks again guys!

The computer is an old Dell machine - I tried to find the drivers through their website using the ID tag but it drew nothing.

I believe too that the drive may have just simply failed... Does this mean I have to 'attempt' to remove the C drive and replace it with the D drive? Or can I just simply 'remove' the C drive and leave the other drive as is? Never removed a drive before but there's always a first time... :)

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Since its a dell computer and if it came originally with windows xp on the dell site under support drivers and downloads im sure theres xp drivers listed for your model.Its very possible that you didnt put in the right service tag number the first time.If the harddrive has failed you can replace it if you choose to. Ive never removed hard drives in desktops just laptops which for me is very easy.Of all the dell computers ive had new or used that came with xp or had xp drivers available was one instance where the xp drivers just disappeared. It was a vostro a860 laptop which i believe came brand new with vista. however it also had xp drivers available. Yet months later when i had a problem with an internet driver no xp drivers were listed anymore. i found out that it was really just a dell branded laptop but yet made by clevo and dell wanted to forget all about that model entirely like it never existed.So im sure the xp drivers are there for your model just check again.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!