1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with Toshiba Satellite P100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Piglesnout, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Piglesnout

Piglesnout Thread Starter

Hello! I just made an account here because I'm having a rather serious problem with my computer. When I turn on my computer, everything seems to work... except the moniter. The fans whirr, you can hear the windows start-up, but my screen remains completely black. No light at all. Help!

2. isaidsnap

isaidsnap

1. isit a brand new laptop? 2. the lcd or the cables leading to it are probably the problempop free with a moderate amount of force, check to make sure you didn't overlook any screws

3. Piglesnout

Piglesnout Thread Starter

No, it's about 5 years old.

Also, just tested, if I plug it into an external monitor it doesn't work either. I tried fiddling with the wires leading to the screen, it didn't do anything.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

As I replied in your other thread, you need to press Fn and F5 at the same time to enable the external monitor.

5. Jesse2002

Jesse2002

Sound possibly like the inverter has failed for the monitor except the bit where it will not transfer to external monitor. I am not familiar with this model but have carried out a number of laptop repairs using insidemylaptop.com as my guide. The L300 is the one I have most experience at. Frank4D is correct about the Fn key but I have found some have different keys to switch monitors look at the symbols. Also I have observed some Fn keys have to be pressed before the F5 or whichever key and some simultaneously.
    Where there any symtoms before you shut down previously? This sort of thing can be triggered by other items in the post hanging the pc up or even the power supply. It is more difficult with a laptop but on desktop I usually strip down to bare minimum and try the boot. Often on a laptop the most you can do is turn off switches for WLAN / Bluetooth and drop out 1 stick of ram.
    I once had a desktop fail to start where the dialup modem had been fried by a lightning strike.

6. Jesse2002

Jesse2002

7. Jesse2002

Jesse2002

If blank from power on then it is most likely a hardware problem.
    If you get the post messages does it stop during post.
    If it goes blank as windows boots then it is more likely to be a driver problem or a poor choice in resolution - boot into safe mode and check setting.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Shine a flashlight at the laptop's screen, if there is a faint image then the problem is most likely the inverter or the backlight but an external monitor should still work.

If an external monitor won't work and there is no faint image on the laptop screen then it could be a faulty graphics chip inside the laptop.

If so it's an expensive thing to get fixed and you might be better off buying a new laptop.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice