Issues with WiFi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hariszz

Hey, I have faced some issues with my router. PC, connected via LAN gets good connection and speed, but when connected via WiFi, speed drastically drops down at some times, disregarding the location. WiFi signal strenght is good, 5/5, but sometimes I get very low download/upload speeds. For example - watching a 10 min youtube video is real pain. It can start well, but after minute or two, it drops to 144p. Again, after couple minutes it goes back to 1080p. When connected via LAN, everything is fine. Speed is about 100mbps.

dlipman

David
There are different WiiFi protocols that provide varying speeds.
Reference the "Versions" subsection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

Because it is a Radio and because noise can effect effective transmission and possible data reesends/re-transmissions of data it is not that good at quality data streaming. Especially if the WiFi is using an older protocol.

I suggest when you do that kind of data streaming use wired Ethernet.

TerryNet

Terry
Make sure the latest correct driver for the wireless adapter is installed.

plodr

Liz
Without knowing the hardware specs of the wifi device in your computer, it is hard to provide help.

Hariszz

Router - Asus RT-N12D1. It is beeing used as a home network. So, it does not matter if you are connected via mobile, tablet or a laptop, lags happen on all devices except for the LAN-wired-PC

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
In addition to what dlipman said having "too much" traffic on the wireless network can create your issue. Remember that Wi-Fi is half-duplex and only one device successfully transmitting at a time.

Hariszz

In addition to what dlipman said having "too much" traffic on the wireless network can create your issue. Remember that Wi-Fi is half-duplex and only one device successfully transmitting at a time.
Is there any possible way to reduce it? Btw, it does not mater if one device is connected or a few.

dlipman

David
You are seeing the physical effects of the limitations of WiFi.

dlipman

David
I am not sure.

If noise is causing resends/retransmissions and degrading the Radio then it won't make a difference.

You may choose an appliance that supports WiFi protocol 802.11ac The ASUS supports 802.11 b/g/n
But the WiFi connected device must also support that protocol.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online