1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with Windows XP; potential virus issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roxerz, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roxerz

roxerz Thread Starter

Hello. These past few days I've been experiencing strange issues with my computer, which could potentially be attributed to some type of virus. I have been unable to open any programs on my computer. Whenever I try to open my Internet browser or some other program, all I see is the hourglass icon. This icon does not go away and will appear when I click on a program, right click, or click any other part of the screen. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Hello...

The hourglass is normal. That means your computer is trying to access the requested information. On the net, you could have a connection problem, but that wouldn't cause this slowdown problem with programs on your machine. So we have to determine what is the problem and get it straightened out. Could be caused by a virus but not necessarily likely so. Just depends...

OK, may I ask if you use a cleaner software? Also, do you recall adding or removing anything in the days leading up to this episode?

Also, please:
    1. PC make/model
    2. Processor name, type, and speed
    3. Amount of RAM
    4. Hard drive size (how much free)
    5. Any add on cards? If so, details...

Did you do anything unusual leading up to this event, like try to uninstall something that wouldn't uninstall, etc.?

3. roxerz

roxerz Thread Starter

By cleaner software do you mean antivirus software? If so, then yes.
    Last week I updated my SuperAntiSpyware program and I also activated a Java add-on on Firefox, but it was an add-on that would cause Firefox to become unstable, but I needed to activate it to complete my homework. Once I activated the add-on, my computer was getting "stop script" messages and operated slower than before.

Computer details:
    Dell/ Dimension E310... I'll post the rest of the info in my next post.

4. roxerz

roxerz Thread Starter

Okay, I can't access my control panel to provide you with my information because my computer won't load it up..

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

roxerz...by cleaner software I mean the kind that removes temporary internet files...not anti-virus...no worries there...

OK, are you using Firefox on this computer right now? If so, maybe we can get in and disable the add on. Then we can figure out which way to go next....

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What Anti-Virus program are you using?
    Update and scan your Pc.

If you can - post a Hjt log - to see what is running on your system.
    Hijack this 2.04
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    -------
    Download Security Check by screen317
    http://screen317.spywareinfoforum.org/
    Save it to your Desktop.

Double click the install icon.
    A command Prompt window will open.
    Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
    It should now open in Notepad - and will save a log called checkup.txt.
    Post the result of the scan here.

7. roxerz

roxerz Thread Starter

I attempted to install the Hijack software, but my computer won't allow me to install it in Safe Mode. What should i do now?

8. blues_harp28

Will it install in Normal Mode?
    Try Normal Mode - if it will not install, right click the install icon and rename it 123.exe

Meanwhile I will ask for your post to be checked by one of our Malware Experts

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

Hi Roxerv, Blues Harp asked me to take a look at your problem. This caught my eye:
    Java should not cause any problems with Firefox so it might be infected.

First though, please follow these instructions:

Please download RKill
    There are three buttons to choose from with different names on, select the first one and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the program, then download and use the second button in the download link.
    • A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please post this in your next reply.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.You will find further links if you scroll down the page with other names, try them one at a time.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

DO NOT reboot, download Malwarebytes and save it to your desktop. Open the program, allow it to update and run a Full system scan with it, select all detections for removal and post the log when done.

10. roxerz

roxerz Thread Starter

Hey, sorry for my delayed response. I've been trying to open programs, but none of them open up.. I am able to open them in safe mode, but I am not allowed to install programs according to safe-mode

11. blues_harp28

Until Mark posts a suggestion - try renaming RKill.
    Right click the icon - click on rename - name it 123.exe
    Will it now install?

12. roxerz

roxerz Thread Starter

Well, i'm able to run Rkill once it's downloaded, but the box does not flash like Mark said it would. Furthermore, i'm doing this on Safe Mode because i'm unable to access the internet on Normal Mode. I'm not sure if this has any significant effect on my ability to properly run Rkill.

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, we will have to run a scanner from outside of Windows to see what is going on.

You do not need quote my posts in your replies.

This may look complicated but just try and follow it one step at a time. You will need a clean working PC with a CD burner, a blank CD and a Flash Drive. You will also need a copy of Windows XP with SP1 or higher, if you don't have that disc or cannot borrow one stop there and let me know.

Please use a clean working PC to download and copy FRST to a Flash Drive and to make the BartPE CD.
    Use these links to download the correct version for your operating system and save it to the Flash Drive.
    For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32-Bit
    For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit

Follow the instructions in this link to make a BartPE CD boot disc.

• Put the BartPE CD into the infected PC and plug in the Flash Drive that has FRST copied to it. Reboot the PC.
    • If the CD does not start to run you must go into the Bios and change the boot order How to change the boot order
    • If asked to press any key to boot from the CD, then do so.
    • BartPE will start to load, be patient as it may take a minute or two, you should see the Windows logo as it loads and then you will end up at the BartPE screen.
    • Click on GO in the bottom left corner and select Command Prompt.
    • At the Commad Prompt type in notepad and hit the Enter key.
    • Notepad will open, click on File in the top left corner and select Open, you will see something similar to this below, click on the arrow as shown and make a note of the drive letter for your Flash Drive. This screen image will vary from one computer to another depending on the number of partitions on the hard drive.
    • In this screen image the Flash drive is shown as drive D: on your system it may be different and appear with a different name. Close the windows leaving just the Command Prompt open.

[​IMG]
    • In the command window type d:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type d:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter d with the drive letter of your flash drive.
      NOTE: if you receive an error message "the system cannot find the drive specified" go back into Notepad and check the drive letter for the Flash Drive, also note the letter can change on subsequent runs.
    • The tool will start to run. If you have more than one version of Windows installed you will be asked to confirm which one should be scanned.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer. (This may not appear on all systems).
    • When the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool window opens click on the Scan button. The progress bar may freeze for a while which is normal, leave it undisturbed and it will complete the scan. A small window will pop up to confirm completion of the scan, click OK, close all the windows and click on GO and select Shut Down.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Put the Flash drive back in a working PC, open Windows Explorer and then click on the Flash Drive. Double click on FRST.txt then Copy & Paste the log into your next reply. Please DO NOT send the log as an attachment.

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

Looking back at your last post, which appeared while I was posting the above, did you try the other renamed versions of RKill as per my instructions. Can you boot into Normal Mode and try to run the program from there?

15. roxerz

roxerz Thread Starter

Yes, i tried them all. However, i haven't tried to run them on Normal Mode because i'm almost certain the program won't open on Normal Mode. I'll give it a try, though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice