1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Issues with Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Maximao, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maximao

Maximao Thread Starter

Hey guys

I'm running a Dell desktop comptuer, which had vista on it. A few nights ago, I lost connection to all the devices in my house, Lap tops, other computers, etc. Once I'd toyed around with the router a bit, I got everything else up and running, with the exception of my desktop. Says it cant connect to the network, no matter what I do. Whats frustrating me is that after turning wi-fi hotspot on my phone on, I was able to connect my desktop to that. Im also able to hook everything else in the house up to the router, with no problems.

I decided to just bite the bullet and buy the windows 7 OEM, hoping that the factory reset would fix my wireless issue, but its doing the exact same thing.

I've tried doing a power cycle, unplugging both modem and router, plugging them in one at a time , etc etc. Nothing seems to be fixing it. I'd hate to have to take the computer in for service, especially after dropping the 225 for the operating system.\:(

Error message I'm getting is "Windows cannot connect to "router name"" When i click diagnose, it tells me to investigate router or access point issues. And once i click skip, it tells me it cannot resolve my wireless connectivity issue

Help?

2. Xorc1st

Xorc1st

I would unistall your wireless driver and restart your computer.

3. Maximao

Maximao Thread Starter

Just tried it, with no such luck. Same issue as before after restart.

4. Xorc1st

Xorc1st

Have you tried connecting to another wireless device or only that router?

5. Maximao

Maximao Thread Starter

Before i updated to 7, i was able to connect to my phones wifi hotspot. After the upgrade, and just trying it, im getting the same error from that wifi.

6. Xorc1st

Xorc1st

It seems to be a problem with driver issues. If you can get the make/model of the wireless card, i'd look to see if there's newer drivers available from the manufacturer's website.

7. Maximao

Maximao Thread Starter

It does pull up two cards, when i go into my drivers menu, under networks; im not really sure which is the right one here. There is "Dell wireless 1505 draft 802.11n WLAN mini-card" and "realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-e Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)"

8. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

9. Xorc1st

Xorc1st

Also have a look here. Seems a lot of issues with this card, one guy claims he found a fix here.

10. Maximao

Maximao Thread Starter

service tag is 8w69mj1

the model looks like a studio 540.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055169