1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ISTsvc - not the usual problem

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by musashi77777, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. musashi77777

musashi77777 Thread Starter

Greetings, first time poster!

Somehow I was infected with the dreaded and persisent ISTbar. :mad: Folowing much of the advice on this forum, I was able to get rid of - most - of this problem.

When I boot, I get a message that the system cannot locate spoolsrv32.exe. When I go to the registry, I have constant references to spoolsvc32.exe and istsvc.exe. Now, I was able to delete both of these files (and the ISTsvc directory, as well), but I cannot delete the registry references.

Now, I have run all of the following programs, with updated definitions, in safe mode (with system restore turned off): AdAware SE Pro with Ad Watch active, Spybot S&D, HiJack, Registry Mechanic, the Symantic FixISTbar.exe program, and EZTrust Antivirus. I have also used about three different online virus scans, as well. I tried to go to the IST website, but they tried to put more adware on my machine when I tried to use their utility.

The oddest thing is that when I manually go into the registry and locate the offensive keys, I can delete them, click on another key, then go right back to the offensive key, and it has mysteriously regenerated! The same thing happens with AdAware - it finds the ISTbar registry entry, deletes it, then if I immediately run it again, it finds it again! Ditto with HiJack. Below is my HiJack log:Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 9:20:18 PM, on 2/12/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\J\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://online.wsj.com/home/us
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.averatec.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.averatec.com/
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CloneCDTray] "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe" /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IST Service] C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe (My Note: This won't go away!!!)
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Srv32 spool service] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spoolsrv32.exe (My Note: Neither will this!!!)
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PowerBar] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerStarter\PowerBar.exe" /AtBootTime
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.averatec.com
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    O23 - Service: VET Message Service - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe

If anyone has an idee how to fix this recurring nightmare, I'd appreciate it!

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IST Service] C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Srv32 spool service] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spoolsrv32.exe

Close all windows except Hijack This Place a check beside the above an dhave Hijack This " fix checked "

REBOOT

Delete the folder C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\

Delete the file referenced in the "O4 - [Srv32 spool service]" entry of your log.

REBOOT and post another log here please

3. musashi77777

musashi77777 Thread Starter

The actual files are deleted, and remain gone, but the registry entries remain. As an added bonus, I periodically get a message pop-up on the screen that says the computer cannot locate c:\windows\system32\spoolsrv32.exe. Something is still looking for that file, and something continues to replicate these entries in my registry. The actual files in c:\Program Files and c:\windows\system32 are gone and have stayed gone, but this registry problem is driving me batty. Latest HiJack log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 10:59:27 PM, on 2/12/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerStarter\PowerBar.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\J\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://online.wsj.com/home/us
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.averatec.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.averatec.com/
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CloneCDTray] "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe" /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IST Service] C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Srv32 spool service] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spoolsrv32.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PowerBar] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerStarter\PowerBar.exe" /AtBootTime
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.averatec.com
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    O23 - Service: VET Message Service - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe

Those same two lines are still there. I am absolutely stumped.

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

If the files are gone then there is probably an issue with the permissions on the registry key that is preventing them from being removed.

Open regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Right click the Run Key and choose "permissions". Make sure that you as administrator have "full control" set to "Allow".

5. Flrman1

Flrman1

Opps! Also do the same with this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!