Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

It could be worse

561 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  padutch 
#1 ·
I come to this forum and read all the time in search of knowledge . With the reading and help of the fine people here I have fixed many problems . Some posts I have read complain about a program taking a minute to start up . Some complain about a slow boot up . Well when I said it could be worse I found one that couldn't be . Uncle brought his PC out to me to see iffin I could make it work for him . HP Pailion with 128 ram and XP Home . Hooked it up to my monitor and turned it on . One hour and 15 minutes later I could finally do something . First thing I attempted to do was run defrag . It took 15 minutes for the menue to work enough to let me click on defrag and another 29 minutes to open defrag . Now I have it open and click on derag to run , 7 hours later it finished . Pc Was still slow . A bit better but not much . Started to empty temp folders . One temp folder took 15 minutes to empty . Emptied all the temp folders and the history then deleated some programs . Only deleted 3 small programs but with them and the temp folders I regained 17 gigs of hard drive . Did another defrag and this time it went much faster . Then I started on malware and viruses . Did the ususal scans I learned from here and took a bunch of them out . Got to the point that the PC was healthy again . Took out the 128 megs of ram and replaced it with 512 which is the max for this HP . Now it is running very smooth and probably as fast as it ever will . So when you think you are running slow do the little things first , it just might help.
Dutch

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.