1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"It is now safe to turn off your computer"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by NXXcdo, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NXXcdo

NXXcdo Thread Starter

I just reinstalled Windows. Before, the computer would shut itself off when I shut it down. Now, the "It is now safe..." message shows, and it doesn't power down by itself. I have to hold the power button in for 5 seconds. 5 whole seconds!!! I am a busy man, with things to do and people to see. I don't have time for this!! Actually, I'm just lazy.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Try this first: In Windows Right-click the Desktop; Point to Properties; Click the Screen saver tab; click the lower Settings button; Click the Advanced tab; under the 'when I press the power button on my computer' section use the drop-down arrow to choose "Power off". Click the Apply button; Click the OK button. Restart your computer. If that doesn't work after doing a restart, then powering down, then entering the BIOS and adjusting the power setting is necessary.

To enter the BIOS press F1, F10, Esc or Delete during a restart, depending on the computer. Then use the arrow keys below the Delete key and the Enter key to navigate through the menu and sections to change the settings in the Power section and exit saving changes.

3. NXXcdo

NXXcdo Thread Starter

Thanks. Got it. Nice sig.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice